Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hose fitting on new Roadsport SV150

Aitch42

Hi guys

I am getting on with my new build and finally managed to get the front suspension fitted and ordered an engine crane for this weekend to get the motor in. One problem I have is fitting the hoses to the back of the engine before it goes in. Up to now I have spent a couple of hours trying to get them onto the damn connectors - this has included putting the end of the hose in boiling water, applying silicone grease liberally, brute force and a lot of ignorance.

Has anybody found a trick of getting these hoses on?

Any help would be appreciated.

Howard

Just replaced all my hoses for the first time. Standard K series. Only one was difficult: J hose onto thermostat housing, which of course is the most fragile of all the pipes.

I think you've identified all the tricks. I think you'll probably get the end hotter and softer by putting the whole hose in the boiling water. You can try going on very straight, but what worked for me eventually was going on very angled and rocking the other side on.

Is this like putting tight bike tyres onto rims: eventually you just have to believe it's going to work... ?

Good luck

Jonathan

Hi,

Just to update this post. Finally managed to get the two hoses on to the back of the engine block. A friend from the US suggested using a heat gun and it did the trick coupled with silicone grease spray - excellent news as this means I can get the engine in this weekend!

Howard

Glad you got it sorted Howard. I built my SV150 in St Albans a couple of years ago and noticed your up the road - in fact I delivered a copy of Low Flying to Wheathamstead last week - was delivered to mine by mistake . may well have been your address!

Steve

Guaranteed banal profundities