Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil in header tank

spinmaster

Which engine do you have?

Is there any mayo under the oil cap?

Have you seen any odd readings on the instruments recently?

If it is a head gasket, don't panic it really isn't that expensive or difficult, I did mine for about £150 including new head bolts, gasket and skim.

Nick

Spinmaster,

I have a VHPD as well and beat myself up probably just as much as you are right now. Don't panic I guarantee it's not as bad as you think!

First of all the K series is a tough little bugger, the weakest point is the pistons. The SLR is fitted with forged items and so they should be fine unless you have been seriously over revving the car, which I doubt unless it has been modified because you wont gain anything. You can pretty much dismiss any damage to the bottom end therefore.

Got a dry sump? My car has and also did not show any mayo so try the these checks instead.

A litmus check (you put a tube filled with a special litmus blue liquid and wedge it in the header tank and let the car run upto temperature. If the litmus goes clear you have a head gasket problem). Mine remained blue until I revved the car to 6000 rpm for a constant period and then it turned straight away.

Alternatively try a compression test, that will show you straight away if there is a problem, although it will not necessarily tell you what the problem is!

If both of these are inconclusive drain the fluid and start again. Top up with new 50/50 coolant and see if you get the same symptoms. The fact that you have not seen the car overheating and a rise in oil temperature bodes reasonably well.

Let us know what you find, and if it is a head gasket, send me a mail and I'll help you out.

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Where would I get the litmus liquid from?

Did you also get all the gunge in the header tank?

If it is the head gasket I might have a go at it myself. Have you replaced one yourself? Is it hard and does it require special tools?

If anything else breaks this year I'll trade it in for a Classic!!

Cheers

Paul

Spinmaster

I did Head Gasket on my VHPD, quite easy, you need a spline socket for the head bolts and the general rule is you should change the bolts as they can stretch. You need to fashion a plate to lock the cams together to stop them turning while the head is off and because it's a wet lined engine you have to be very careful not to dislodge the Liners or it will be a stripdown and rebuild.

I have the appropriate Rover Manual (required for tightening sequence etc and the spline socket if you want to borrow them

BTW buy the Head Gasket set and bolts from Dave Andrews!

Mark

Agree with Mark,

I bought a Haynes manual for a Rover 200 series and followed the instructions step by step.

It's a bit like baking a cake, you must read ahead to prevent cock ups and surprises, but it isn't difficult. Erm not that I bake cakes, I'm far to manly, spit, see the Bears game?

I used a bit of angle to lock the camshaft pulleys, you will also need a star shaped drive, a torque wrench and a spare afternoon.

It's not a difficult job, just make sure you note where everything goes as you take it to bits!

Nick

Edited by - Pinky on 30 Aug 2002 14:49:12