Click here if you are having website access problems ×

blown carb "o" ring

Phil

I have had problems with lumpy tickover and lots of spitting back from the carbs and pops from the exhaust, upon investigation I have found that the two middle trumpets on the carbs have had the large "o" rings between the carbs and sandwich plates forced out causing an air leak. My question is after setting the carbs up with the recomended 5 to 10mm play at the end of the trumpets, have I left them to loose letting the "o" rings push out or when fitting them do you use any form of sealant to keep them in place?

thanks for any help or advice given.

I have ordered new "o" rings from Caterham.

1700SS DD 1990 on 40's

Edited by - phil on 28 Aug 2002 00:24:33

Phil, a smear of silicone grease to hold the "o" rings in place whilst assembling the carbs to the manifold helps stop them squidging out (techie term that), but an alternative is to replace the sandwich plates and "O" rings with an alloy plate with the sealing rings moulded on, you also could also replace the Thackery washers with rubber bushes and twin cupped washers, see the Burton catalogue page 29 , carb mounting accessories, item 6, & 7, and you may need to fit longer mounting studs, hope this has been of some assistance, regards Nigel.