Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

DVLA new car registration - how long does it take?

mattwaltham

My car is having its IVA tomorrow, and I'm hoping to get to the Swiss meeting at the end of the month....

I am wondering what is the current experience of how long the DVLA takes to get the registration done if the documents are sent to them?

The alternative is to go in person of course - who knows which DVLA office to go to maximise the chance of it being done on the spot (as has been reported to occasionally happen)?

Matt

Matt - speak to Sharon at Caterham in Dartford. They are now offering a free service to regester the cars. She claims that the office they use will not ask for a separate inspection! She should be able to give you a good idea of timing. I am not sure how long the VOSA take to issue their certificate once you have passed the IVA.

I hope the test goes well and do let us know if you have any issues - my car is in for its post build check at the moment and due for IVA on the 1st July.

Garth

PS where are you going for your test?

atlast

Edited by - Garth on 15 Jun 2010 17:36:07

I (very luckily) got my car IVA'd, registered, insured and on the road in a single day this time last year. The IVA was a re-test presented by Caterham Cars, for which they knew what needed to be done to get the pass, it having been the first (I think) amateur built car they presented at IVA. I turned up at the DVLA office in Gillingham with a load of build pictures and all my documents completed accurately and I was in and out in half an hour - 5 minutes at the desk itself.

I'm not suggesting it's always that easy but it can be done, especially if they are no longer requiring separate inspection!

Good luck *smile*

Trailered car from post build inspection on Fri 28th May, drove 95 (anxious, enjoyable and not a police car in site) miles (without reg plates or tax disc) to Norwich VOSA for IVA on Tues 1st June, back via Chelmsford DVLA as on route home. I informed them of the change in regulations as they wanted to inspect the car, on checking they found I was correct and gave me the tax disc and registration document. Purchased plates and on the road the same evening.

Jim