Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust Sizes

Lawrence_Z

Many thanks Mark....

so I'm on the 2 inch box

SLR is 2 1/4 ..................thats 26 % larger

and a new R4HUN is 2 1/2......that's 56% larger

does anyone have more than 190 bhp and a 2 inch system?

apart from Mike Bees, who is only 1700 cc *smile*

Lawrence

Not 100% sure but I think some VX cars had more than 200 bhp with 2" silencers. Not a very good idea though. 2.5" would be better. The rule of thumb I use is 2.25" up to 200 bhp 2.5" over 200 bhp. Seems to work.

Recently went up to 2.25" from 2" on my 1800 Zetec and the extra urge can be felt through the seat of the pants. Also Foxy Smith went up from 2" to 2.5" on his VX and is very happy.

AMMO

What Mike says is probably correct for his car. As I said only a rule of thumb. Generally speaking noise may increase with the increase of dimension of the silencer but not neccessarily. Depends on how the silencer is constructed.

My experience with race bikes shows that bigger is usually better in terms of peak horsepower. A Ducati Supermono 580 cc single which won Daytona a couple of years ago worked best with the biggest diameter silencer available. Ducati twins have used exhaust exit pipes up to 60 mm O.D. That's one silencer per cylinder.

Part of the sizing of the silencer is dependant on what you are expecting the exhaust system to do. There are returning waves from the primaries, the secondaries, if you have a four into two into one, and the end of the tail pipe. If you have a four into one, the end of the exhaust pipe is your secondary.

By increasing the silencer pipe you may reduce the intensity of the secondary returning wave. This may be beneficial if the secondary is out of tune. The problem becomes even more complicated once you start looking at induction lengths, cam duration and timing. If the exhaust is really big you may even trick the engine into thinking that the end of the primary is the big outside world. I noticed Peter Carmichael's car at Curborough had a 3" pipe with a considerable step up from the collector. This was just to adapt an off the shelf silencer to his collector but it is probably having some sort of effect on the returning wave as well.

If your exhaust is not perfect you can bring it back by changing the induction length or altering the cam timing. So what you end up with on your particular engine is dependant on many factors.

Superbike manufacturers bring out new factory exhausts every year so you can't just say this works, that's it. These things are in a state of constant change. The theory remains the same but the solutions are always changing.

Luckily for us who run road cars with mildish cams the exhaust length is not that critical. Things need to be more accurate when the cam duration goes up. I have seen a 7 bhp increase on a 950 cc twin running 320 degree duration cams by chopping one inch off the primary pipes. On the dyno you just chop an inch off at a time and when you have gone too far you weld an inch back on. With road cams the exhaust can be 10% out and you will have no measurable difference.

Hope you find these ramblings intersesting. Personally I find most thing to do with four stroke engines fascinating as there is always something new to learn.

AMMO

wasn't the theory with WW2 aero engines just to have straight pipes from each cylinder. They then coated the outside with wax and ran them up to operating speed. The standing wave inside meant that the wax melted first at the antinodes. Then they just cut the pipe at the antinode.

Is that just a very primitive version of what you've described? But missing silencers and collectors etc so its simple. OTOH it misses out on pulse tuning which is beneficial...

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Hoopy

Funnily enough the bike in question had straight tuned length pipes. This was when there were no noise restrictions. Didn't know about the wax business.

I spoke to an engineer from Ricardo who said they put sensors along the length of the exhaust system at very samll intervals to monitor the returning waves. This way they could pinpoint what was happening in operation.

AMMO

Wow!!!!

Thanks Ammo, *smile*

I now know that there's even more things I know nothing about *wink*

Mike

Brod is referring to Fred, who brought his new kit to Curborough, including a 2.5 system *smile* and who survived the many jibes, when repeatedly asked if I could try various bits of kit 😬

Lawrence

• 2 weeks later...