Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Looking to 2011

Miltec

Hi all, we're looking (if everything can be sorted) at joining in 2011, just wanted to ask what is the current Class 1 tyre of choice? Running a VX1600, got FIA bar etc.

Do things like 5” headlights breach regs? Have also been looking at fitting rear discs on the live axle and changing the front brakes for four pots, would these changes take us out of Class 1?

Thanks for help

Liam & Lara

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK

As noone has replied yet i'll let you have two penith until more experience heads arrived.

Class 1 seems to have two tyres of choice either the Yokohama A539 or Stunners, depends to some extent what rim size your running.

I'm not aware that changing the head lights or braking would push you out of Class 1 as it's based around engine type & BHP.

So as long as your road legal and under 125BHP with a single cam engine then you should be fine.

Q469 WET, 1990 1690 Xflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. .CaterBram on Facebook

Go for it Milltec. I'd put off the front brake upgrade other than getting Mintex 1144 pads in there (standard rears if you do the disc conversion).

Al has proven many a time already this year, that pedalled hard, the little VX is competitive. That's against K's and Sigma's with more horses and slippy diffs.

Aeroscreen is other essential in my eyes, not just from aerodynamics on fast events but for visibility/car positioning. Caterham perspex aero best value bet.

Another vote for A539's. I got my full set for £70 via Blatchat. I wouldn't use them for trackdays unless practising for an event. When pushed hard they go off very quickly. Fine as non wearing road tyres too.

EN Yorks 7's Flickr

Thanks for all the input guys

Matt YHM back,

Got a worn set of 539's in the shed still road legal.

Currently running Toyo 888's on the road, think that would put us in class 4 if i'm reading the regs right.

Aero not an option as the car lives outside.

Is anyone going to be at the test on 1st June?

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK

Don't put the aero out of the equation, takes two minutes to drop the windscreen off and drop a single aero on once your used to it, does make a difference.

If your in class one on A539's then R888's being a list 1B tyre would put you in class 3.

Better off running A539's in class 1 if your under 125 BHP rather than trying to compete against 160 BHP animals :)

Q469 WET, 1990 1690 Xflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. .CaterBram on Facebook

Unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket I wouldn't bother with expensive 4 pots. 2 pots are fine with uprated pads. There are plenty of front runners running standard brakes with just a change of pads. Bear in mind that in your first season the biggest effect on your performance will be you, and that's where the improvement will come to start with, not on car mods.

Cheers *smile*

Part time Class 4 Zetec ☹️

• Area Representative

Liam,

How are your brakes now?

1144's have a higher coefficient of friction than standard pads, so will make your front brakes better.

However, that's not allways a good thing! You need to retain a reasonable balance, so that the rears are also adding to your stopping power.

Whilst our car is dedion, with rear disks as standard, I'm still using standard calipers, and can stop OK *smile*

As Martin says:-

Bear in mind that in your first season the biggest effect on your performance will be you

Learning to drive the car at your and its limits will trim seconds off your times. Even quite large hikes in power can often only make a few tenths of difference.

Going to put the 539's back on for the Curbourgh test day on 1st June, will see how things go 😬

long list of things needed ☹️

New Helmet x2

Race Suit x2

fire proof gloves and boots

petty strut

bang goes another grand 😔

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK

A few companies are now offering fully compliant helmets for not much more than £100.

[notwithstanding all the "you only have one head" arguments in favour of spending more]

Try Wanted/Ebay/Pistonheads for race suits (and maybe gloves/boots)

Petty strut £20ish - one here

(check it is for the same type of bar - Arch or Caged)

Should come in well under £1K 😳

AB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all me again,

Just got back from test day at Curborough, first time on a track with the 7, was getting there in the end. managed 1:07:00 😬, looking at results would put me bang in the middle of class 1 😬.

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK