Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X flow clutch slip

John E

🙆🏻

Is it me or the clutch?

Fitted a new clutch about 2k miles ago and even though I'm pretty sure its adjusted correctly I feel as though its very easy to make it slip and produce an overheating clutch smell. On a couple of occasions en route to the sprint on Sunday I had this problem whilst pulling away quickly from being stationary.

The cable has a small amount of play and I dont remember this happening with the original. We're not talking huge power here, 145 at best.

Might sound like a stupid suggestion, but are you sure its not wheelspin?

I was a bit suspicious of my clutch a while back, but I soon realised that it was wheelspin - combination of rock hard 13 year old goodyear eagles, a wet road & a heavy right foot!!

Phil

Loosen the clutch cable right off untill it only just disengages, this way you can make sure that the cable is not preventing the clutch from being fully engaged.

The other way of saying that I suppose would be to grope under the car and wiggle the clutch release arm, If there is some play fore and aft because the cable is loose then that should confirm that the clutch is engaged.

Whilst you are there you could remove the boot covering the end of the the clutch release arm and peer inside the bellhousing, if it is very oily then the engine may have leaked oil onto the clutch which would not do it any favours, not an easy one to confirm that unfortunately.

Nick

John

Chasing Steve G. won't do anything to help clutch slip!!

Did we replace all the clutch?? or just the driven plate?? Seem to remember just replacing the driven plate on Martins car.

Clutch shouldn't be a problem at this stage. Could be that your enthusiastic starts are causing some slip.

Suggest:-

1. Check there really is sufficient play in the cable as already suggested.

2. Try setting off in third gear. If clutch is slipping it will show then. If you let the clutch out in third it kind of exaggerates any slip. You should be able to stall the car rather than encounter slip.

Look on the positive side. If it needs a new clutch:-

1. We are experts at engine removal in double quick time. *biggrin*

2. Opportunity to renew the flywheel bolts!! *thumbup*

Paul R.

C7PPR

K series that starts when hot!!

😬Its probably my enthusiastic right foot and the fact that the left one cant keep up with it. All of the dangly bits are ok and yes we did just replace the friction plate. It certainly stalls in 3rd so hell it must be me. 🙆🏻