Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chevron 5w40

Red SLR

Due to the impending arrival of my new kit I today went out and got 8L of oil.

However knowing that it will get dumped at the 500 mile service I did not want anything too expensive, so I picked up some Chevron fully synthetic 5w40. (24 quid for 8l)

I know the old SynerG is 5w40 so will the chevron stuff be ok?

Its made in USA I think by Daimler-Chrysler.

X777CAT

Simon,

I would also strongly recommend a non-sythetic oil for running in. I tried it twice, once on my XFlow and once on my merc. Running in is a wear process and synthetic oil is too good. Both times I ended up with relatively high oild consumption on an other wise fine engine 🙆🏻.

98,000 miles so far

Simon,

I would also strongly recommend a non-sythetic oil for running in. I tried it twice, once on my XFlow and once on my merc. Running in is a wear process and synthetic oil is too good. Both times I ended up with relatively high oild consumption on an other wise fine engine.

98,000 miles so far

Simon,

I would also strongly recommend a non-sythetic oil for running in. I tried it twice, once on my XFlow and once on my merc. Running in is a wear process and synthetic oil is too good. Both times I ended up with relatively high oild consumption on an other wise fine engine.

98,000 miles so far

Simon,

Please don't take this as a definitive answer but I think you should be looking at something like Comma 15/50 Europa for running in. After 500 miles change oil and filter and then go fully synthetic. As the other replies have indicated fully synthetic is too good for running in and you can end up with glazed bores. If you give Si Lambert a ring at Caterham he should be able to give you some definitive answers.

MikeW

Simon,

Do a search, this will confirm the advise given already, and by the way, mine came with a standard mineral oil in it for running in. Changed to comma 5w40 syner g at 500 ish miles and been fine since...

Regards,

Martin

Think more £3/gal 20w/50 from Asda rather than full synthetic for running in to allow the rings to bed in whilst protecting the bearings. *wink*

Avoid labouring the engine i.e. change down rather than struggle but keep the revs below 3.5-4K. Boring but usually pays long term dividends on engine life. 😬

Can I just mention the fact that oil burns at just over 90deg and your engine runs at 100deg plus so oils have to have an aditives package to stop it burning and sludging and sticking to your sump etc at the same time drasticly reducing any lubrication, the £3.99 a gallon from asda is cheap as it is ungraded and does not have this aditives package, so as soon as your engine is up to running temp the oil dies, sludges etc I repeat every time your engine gets hot so I would not have it in any car for any length of time.

When running in please use a quality mineral based oil as suggested, anything from a graded 20w/50 upwards and pay over the average £8 mark.

I used Castrol GTX for the first thousand miles with oil and filter changes at 500 and 1000 miles. Then changed to Comma Syner-G and have had no problems so far.

BTW I have a few gallons of (unused *smile*) syner-G which are for sale to those local to me (Fleet). Contact me off list.

Roy