Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailer jockey wheel

skydragon

I bought a 2nd hand BJ Minno trailer a few months back. The trailer is a four-wheel type and is approx 10 years old.

To get my car on/off the trailer without grounding it, I have to first raise up the front of the trailer using the jockey wheel. Not a problem for me, but it seems that the jockey wheel has now packed in, as i can't wind it up or down anymore (it feels like the jacking mechanism inside the shaft is knackered).

1. What is the best replacement jockey wheel to use?

2. The current jockey wheel shaft is located in a welded chassis frame. There is an small allen screw near the top of the jockey shaft. I'm guessing that by removing this screw that the jockey handle comes off and the shaft can then be droppped down and removed?

3. Is it ok to do what I'm doing (in terms of raising up the front of the trailer using the jockey wheel whilst the car is on the trailer) - or will this just knacker a new replacement jockey wheel too?

1.6 K Series EU3, 2003, with DVA K05 and a few other goodies...

website here

Does the trailer have rear legs 🤔

If it doesn't and when you drive the car on it tips up and then comes down on jockey wheel as you drive the car further on, it will knacker the Jockey wheel in no time.

Simon

Caterham BEC here

Edited by - Manxseven on 4 Jun 2010 12:30:07

BJ have a standard and heavy duty option for the minno jockey wheel. It could be worth understanding which you have had fail. On the one I had the heavy duty wheel had a 'ribbed shaft'. *redface*

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬