Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Idle

ccconn

Just had my VVC converted by Dave at DVA (great job) Emerald,solid cams,TB's etc

The only thing is that now when it's started from cold it initially struggles to idle.

Once it settles and warms up a little all is fine

Any ideas?

Chris

Is this a big problem? This is usually more of a problem in winter so just accept it & don't expect it to idle without throttle for a few minutes.

All part of the myth of the 'tuned' engine *nono*. Accepting this is all part of the problem! *tongue* This is the 21st century for crying out loud: you know, electronic fuel injection and all that.

There is no reason why your idle and cold start strategy should not allow you to start the car on the key without getting in. And to drive it straight away if you choose to.

Enough air, enough fuel enrichment and enough ignition advance during cold start can make a tuned K series on TB's behave perfectly well during the warm up phase. Even without an idle air control valve.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

From what you've described DVA will have removed the IACV [it can be fitted at cost] BUT without it getting enough air at Idle via throttle stop screws cab be problematic at full running temp, as speed will then be too high. Speak to Dave he is a very reasonable guy, and I'm very very sure he'll sort you out. Most Ks on after-market TBs have no IACV so there has to be a compromise. 😶‍🌫️

The problem is ensuring the corrections are correct and the air perfect for cold idle, when the conversion was done, the engine was, of course, stinking hot. In order to perfect the cold start the engine would need to be here and stone cold...

Oily

Dave tuned my car, which runs and starts like a good 'un. Recently Dave R timed his superlight up properly using DVA recomendations which caused the engine to cut out when ticking over. Dave R was running standard ss ECU, which needed reseting and solved the problem. I don;t think you should accept the problem as the norm. How far have you taken the car (bhp)When I called Dva earlier to improve the car up to 190bhp he said it would improve the tractability of the car which is perfect already! He's a top man and always willing to share his expertise! *wink*

C7 WEA 1.6K DVA Power