Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering wheel wobble

DCG

Hi all

About a month ago I changed from 15" wheels to 13" on A032R. Ok for a short while, now I have wheel wobble above about 55mph. I've had the wheels re -balanced (One was badly out *mad*) but it hasn't sorted the problem. Where should Ilook next ?

It's a 1990 De-dion on standard suspension. I suspect that it's all original (ie 12 years old) and is in need of upgrading which will be done as this years winter project.

Any suggestions on possible places to check to get it through the summer ?

Many thanks

Dave.

Edited by - Dave G on 26 Aug 2002 15:22:08

a few guesses/things to check:

wheel out of balance

track rod end wear (esp if they are 12 years old)

is the rack bolted down securly

play in the rack - can be adjusted or may just be worn out

play in the collapsable joint at the top of the steering column

bolts holding the wheel to the boss coming loose

does it only happen at 55mph or at all speeds above it 🤔

can you feel play if you move the wheel when stationary 🤔 (there should be NONE at all)

does swapping front wheels to rear help 🤔

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

With brand new Compomotive ML (minilite style) wheels, I had a hell of a game getting stick-on weights to do just that. *eek* The pastic coating surface was very waxy and needed a light roughening to assist keying.

Are you using stick on weights and are they not sticking on? - count em 😬

On a light car just a few grammes will make a difference.

At that time I also went to about half a dozen places trying to get wheels satisfacorily balanced. One made the car absolutely undriveable over 35 mph. Afterwards the man then said "Oh yeah mate, we've been having trouble with that machine. theyr'e supposed to come and fix it next week". So when you go to the tyre shop, ask when they last serviced and calibrated the computer balancing machine. Be very suspicious if significant weight is being applied diametrically opposite on one rim.

In addition to Hoopy's comments - is the rack on your car clamped in compliant bushes as per the Triumph type racks?

As a double check - I'd put a pair of 15"ers back on the front if you still have them and see if it still shakes on a quick experimental blat? If not - swap fronts for rears. This may save a lot of time if it show the wheels are the problem. *wink*

Hoopy,

Thanks for the reply, the rack and the track rod ends were replaced last year so actually it''s only the dampers, springs,trunions and possibly bearings that are 12 years old 😳. The wobble continues on after 55mph. I will check all your other suggestions.

Mr Locust

I am using stick on weights and have been keeping an eye on them, but will try swapping back to 15" if they will fit under the wings.

Thanks again

Dave.