Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fuel leaking out from filler cap...

GetCarter

Maybe some sponge in the neck?

I noticed a lot of 7s leaking like this at Elvington a couple of weeks back, mainly in higher G corners or under hard acceleration when the tank was full.

Is the cap breathable or is it sealed?

X777CAT

Simon, Hoopy,

It''s the superlights that seem to do it - I presume they just accelerate that much faster, causing the problem. (I never had the problem on the V.V.C.). The engine is the K (R500). As for breathable or sealed... Well I *think* sealed (assumed) - how do you tell? (Mr Stupid arrives).

Thanks for the thoughts... Marcus (runs Easytrack) reckons gaffa tape works (but then his seven seems to be held together by the stuff, so I think he has shares)

Steve

A lot of K series car seem to leak on the track in left handers. There''s a vent on the filler neck that is crimped off but then has a hose attached that just dumps to atmosphere below the filler near the bottom chassis tube. This tube really ought to have a one way valve in it to prevent this. The other (temporary) alternative is to extend this hose and run it up the roll bar strut and then back down. This allows it to act as a vent but petrol can''t climb all the way up to dump out on the ground.

I get the same thing happening with my Superlight. When the tank is anywhere near full the petrol can slosh out of the cap even under "normal" road driving. I''ve got one of those flashy "aero" sytle filler caps. I''d be interested in any suggestions people may have.

Cheers...

😬You laugh at me because I''m different, I laugh at you because you''re all the same. 😬

Filled up this morning before coming to work, stink of petrol now!

(OK some of the roundabouts were taken at an interesting speed!)

Dave, keep us posted on the new aero cap from Caterham. Will you be trying one?

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬