Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Caliper Options: XR4 Replacements

philwaters

So, I've got a Ford live axle that I am thinking about fitting a disc brake conversion to - probably from SPC - Brackets & Kit Here.

However, just wondering about what my options are for replacement calipers?

It needs to have a handbrake which I think will limit the range a bit, but I'd like something lighter than the XR4 type.

Am I right in thinking it is the XR4's that are fitted as standard on the rear of a DeDion car?

Cheers,

Phil Waters

Phil, I looked at this as well, but I could not justify the cost, it comes in at about £400 all in, and the saving is marginal.

I am running 9 inch RS2000 drums on mine and they are more than enough at the moment. There are a few companies offering kits. The rear calipers are Scorpio or Cosworth Sierra items, about £120 for recons. Brackets should really be weld on items then you need to use the de-dion brake cable and fit the cable brackets etc....

Edit: You will also need to take the bearings off the half-shafts to fit this kit. It is a very good conversion, but a lot of effort. Manxseven had a complete Axle for sale with alloy Diff nose and LSD, but this was for a 3.4 ratio, only really suitable for a BEC.

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

95% there :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Edited by - jonboylaw on 1 Jun 2010 23:15:05

Several points:

"New Ford XR4 calipers complete £120.00 + vat each" is not good value. I threw some Scorpio calipers in the bing a few weeks ago, as they are used as standard brakes on Ultimas and P4 kits such as mine.

The HiSpec is the only caliper with an integrated handbrake, but word is getting out to MOT stations that it is not a direct mechanical action on the handbrake - the handbrake lever operates a piston whihc locks the brake on hydraulically. HiSpec also have an awful reputaion for delivering on time, and there are some questiosn over the quality of the design in terms of flexing in some caliper types.

If you want to go for a pure caliper with no handbrake you need these here

You will need the axle end plates machined with an imperial spacing between the lugs (3.25" 3/8UNF instead of 70mm M10) but I am sure that cannot be hard to persuade SPC to sell you a set undrilled or drilled at revised centres/sizes.

For a handbrake, can you not fit something with a cable operated gokart caliper to a disc mounted between propshaft flanges on the reverse gear box or even the main gearbox itself? A system a bit Land Rover like?