Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

why does oil get hot?

PeterS

Car: 1.6 K Supersport with Apollo

Trackday last weekend.

Oil gets hot, pressure goes down - usual story.

Starts to use oil, so top up between sessions - this is unusual.

Oil temperature reaches 120 so give up and go home.

That evening, when travelling on motorway at 9 pm at a steady 70 mph, oil temperature shows 110, whereas normally it would have been about 80 to 85.

So what is it that causes oil to get hot? If it is the combustion process, then I don't understand why it is getting hot under gentle driving. If it is mechanical friction because of the stresses of trackday driving, why have I not had this before, and why does the engine sound fine?

The guage is working fine when switched to water temperature.

I suppose it could be the oil temperature sender, but why would it give a step change in operating temperature? It shows cool oil temperature after it has been stationary for a while.

Anybody got any ideas?

on the track i always used to get 100+ water and 120+ oil. I''ve since fitted a race rad and now get 80 for the water and 120 for the oil - time to fit a laminova soon methinks... so thats all fine.

what''s worrying is that it got so hot on the road back and that it was using oil. As you have oil and water temp i guess you have an apollo with the sender in it 🤔 what was the water temp doing on the way back 🤔 If you had 80 water and 120 oil on the road i''d suspect the oil temp sender (although this can be checked by looking at the pressure guage to some extent).

hmm... but you were uing oil... Is this a K series? They don''t have a reputation for using oil...

hmmm... I''m confused and possibly worried. Are you *sure* it was using oil - it can be hard to tell with an apollo. Have you checked under the car for any possible oil leaks?

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

on the track i always used to get 100+ water and 120+ oil. I''ve since fitted a race rad and now get 80 for the water and 120 for the oil - time to fit a laminova soon methinks... so thats all fine.

what''s worrying is that it got so hot on the road back and that it was using oil. As you have oil and water temp i guess you have an apollo with the sender in it 🤔 what was the water temp doing on the way back 🤔 If you had 80 water and 120 oil on the road i''d suspect the oil temp sender (although this can be checked by looking at the pressure guage to some extent).

hmm... but you were uing oil... Is this a K series? They don''t have a reputation for using oil...

hmmm... I''m confused and possibly worried. Are you *sure* it was using oil - it can be hard to tell with an apollo. Have you checked under the car for any possible oil leaks?

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Hoopy

It was definitely using oil, but not losing it, on track. Yes, I know about the difficulties of checking the oil level with an Apollo. However, if you don''t keep the oil level up, the pressure drops even more!!

On the motorway afterwards, the oil pressure was reasonable (about 3 to 3.5) but the temperature was all wrong.

Very strange.

Change the sensors for new calibrated ones.

You can chec the exsisting one by boiling water and dipping the end in to see if they are correct.

If you can get hold of one of those infer red temp probes check the temps along the pipe work, block, rad and other places for a hot spot.

Change the coolant.

Change the oil.

Try again.

Paul.

See My Car Here