Click here if you are having website access problems ×

nastiest noise I ever heard

charlie_pank

Blatting along the A1(M) yesterday doing a sensible speed when I suddenly start hearing this rattly noise - the kind of sound you would imagine a very unhappy gearbox to make if teeth were clipping each other. From where I was sitting (in the drivers seat obviously) it sounded like it was coming from behind the centre of the dashboard, not lower (ie not gearbox). It made the same sound regardless of whether the clutch was engaged or not, regardless of which gear I was in and regardless of engine speed. The only thing it seemed to be dependent on was roadspeed, it got very loud indeed above 50 and dissappeared all together below 35. When I got where I was going (at 40 mph!!) we jacked the back of the car up and had a good look at the propshaft, which was in (though I say it myself) beautiful condition - didn't seem to be anything fouling it etc... . Everything in the engine bay seemed fine too. So the guy I'd come to buy some wing protectors off and I went for a quick blat and everything was fine, I've done about 150 miles since and it hasn't come back. I think it might have been:

1. a twig or a stone rattling around somewhere towards the front of the propshaft

2. the two little circlips on a couple of tubes rattling on the bulkhead just in front of the washer jets (I tightened the cable-tie before we went for the test-blat)

3. a stone in the front left wheel

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? I think that it was most likely a stone somewhere it shouldn't be, if it was rattling around the front wheel it might sound like it was coming from behind centre dash as the wheel is beyond that from where I sit. I suspect that lifting the back of the car up or reversing out of the guy's drive dislodged whatever it was...

Very happy it went away again though 😬 - I thought it was a very expensive sound! *eek*

Charlie

Kermit the frog (when you see Y68 YBP you'll understand)

nastiest sound i had was when the solid fuel line dropped down at the the rear of the car and the propshaft flange bolts started to eat it ☹️ i stopped vert abrubtly (from about 30) and tied it out the way. luckily it hadn''t eaten enough of the pipe to puncture it...

the noise could be from almost anywhere - it VERY hard to locate the source when driving along i find. You could ask a tyre place if you can borrow their ramp and then you can have a really good look around. bribe them with an offer of a ride to ther manager or somethuing.... 😬

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*