Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Dry Sump System? (Rover K)

DubhOg

OK, so after a disaster at Spa which resulted in the lunching of my almost fresh out of the box engine, I am getting to grips with the remedial work, a big part of which will be trying to ensure it doesn't happen again!

To this end, what are the options regarding dry sump systems for the Rover K? Is there a percieved wisdom as to which is best?

Thank you in advance BC *smile*

This unique rally of human life is not meant to be tackled freewheeling, but in full opposite-lock slide.

• Support Team

To my knowledge there are two main options (with a bit of variation):

1) Caterham system. This uses the existing oil pump as the pressure pump and a separate scavenge pump. You have the options of a tank built into the bellhousing or using a separate tank.

2) Pace system. This uses a 3 stage pump (2 scavenge and 1 pressure) and does not use the existing oil pump. Usually uses a separate tank but I see no reason why you couldn't use the bellhousing tank if you wanted to.

The advantage of the Caterham system is that if you lose the drive belt the pressure pump will continue to work until the tank is empty of oil - if you rig up a belt warning light this could save your engine. The downside is you only have a single scavenge stage and it is alledged that the pump is marginal in its ability to scavenge properly. The bellhousing tank is a neat packaging concept but adds weight and the oil volume is quite small (about 5 litres total in the system).

The advantages of the Pace system is that is has 2 scavenge stages. Downside is that if the belt goes then you immediately lose oil pressure. With a separate tank you have a larger volume of oil.

Each system has it's supporters and detractors.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

• Leadership Team

John, this is the typical Pace scavenge/pressure pump setup - look at the 3rd picture down the page. Yes, it would be "possible" to combine the 2 systems by having Pace supply a twin stage pump purely for the scavenge side of the d/s system then utilising the existing pressure pump. Big problem is that you would either need to use a Caterham sump modified to take an extra scavenge outlet, or a Pace sump modified to retain the standard pressure pump.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Under heavy competition use The internal pump is marginal The Pace 3 stage pump is adjustable and can deliver more oil than you will ever need I've been on a Pace for about 7 yrs and never lost a belt despite very heavy trans-continental touring and numerous track days I'm sure there are others with opposing views But yer pays yer money Only caveat if you ever want to trade car in to Caterham DONT fit a Pace. 😬

There can be lots of implementation issues besides the main component choices that affect DS performance. For instance, I disapprove of running the Caterham system "sealed" and have had plenty of success running it vented (which I reckon improves scavenging).

I think the assertion that the standard pressure pump is marginal can be addressed significantly by simple porting of the pump. Most criticisms of the Caterham setup focus on the scavenge performance rather than the pressure delivery and notable modes of engine failure tend to be when the tank runs dry from too much oil being retained in the engine.

I'm a big fan of the Caterham DS packaging (specifically the bellhousing tank) - it leaves you plenty of room in the engine bay to make working on the car generally easier.

I ran a Pace 3 stage DS with Pace easiclean tank mounted in a short passenger footwell, twin scavenge return hose so one could accomadte a cooler if required in future, the system was run fully sealed hence pulling a vacuum, never a moments trouble, many worry about the elt being exposed to debris, well I've yet to hear of a belt failure, we used to run these on forest rally cars which ingested all kinds of crap through the front - again never had a problem, I'm back on wet sump now with my Duratec but still ahve piccys of my K DS install, blat mail me if you need any *wavey*

cheers

Too young to be old !

With regards to the pressure pump, there are two different widths of the rotor. If you have the larger you are a lot safer that with the smaller version, if you have a highly tuned engine.

I think the larger was introduced with the turbo-K, and later became the only version available.

Thank you for all the detailed replies folks, very interesting!

So, 2 options - Pace or CC with the CC version retaining the (questionable) internal pump for pressure.

It sounds like the Pace system edges it on performance and flexibility regarding placement of the tank.

This unique rally of human life is not meant to be tackled freewheeling, but in full opposite-lock slide.