Click here if you are having website access problems ×

starter button

Anthony

I would be grateful for your help please.

My starter button is slow failing to start the car and has now failed

Replacement of cables makes no difference, but the car starts on the key

Before I replace the switch has anyone experienced similar difficulties ?

Hi Anthony,

I would first check with a multi meter or test lamp if there is any power to the switch (at one side of the contact), then press the button and see if there is power on the other terminal of the swicht. You can also take the switch out to check if the button is working at all (with multimeter, either as beeper or ohm test).

If your button is ok and the car starts on the key, then there must be a problem with the wiring.

Your general wiring should be fine. I also perfer the switch to be in parallel with the key. Some people have the button wired to the brown wires in the ignition barrel, which means the button is always under power, even with the key removed. As a consequence, you can crank the engine with the key removed... less than optimal.

I used the empty pin on the key barrel which will give you power when the key is turned one klick, but with the ignition off (on normal cars, the radio would be energized) this feeds to one termial of the button. The other termial of the button connects to the white/red cable at the key barrel (the starter solenoid wire).

By doing so, you can only crank the engine with the key in, the key start is still working (for people which do not understand the concept of a start button) and you can dry crank the engine with the iginition off...

Hope this helps.

Klaus

Hi Guys,

Update as follows ;-

1. Cables from ignition ( red/white ) and cable from FIA switch ( white ?) have power.

2. Connecting the cables without the switch produces a "clunk" from the starter.

3. Switch is working Ok - tested on bulb

4. Resister on FIA swich appears to hev got very hot ( it was close to insulated cables and has melted part of plastic outer insulation - not the cables )

It appears there is more than adequate voltage to start car every time with key and indeed if cable from ignition is taken to FIA switch.

Regards