Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sticky Steering (please help today I need to drive home )

Rob Patching

This morning on the way to work I turned left at a junction. as i centred the wheel, it suddenly became VERY heavy. Luckily I was only doing about 15mph (it was a 90 degree junction), so I was able to straighten the wheel by pulling very hard. It then loosened up and felt normal, I weaved up the road abit and the steering reacted exactly as expected. I pulled over and had a look and couldnt see anything obvious. I continued (carefully!) and the same thing happened a few miles later, this time on a large motorway island (so right hander), with only a small turn of the wheel it again became very stiff. I forced the wheel back straight when exiting the island and all felt normal again. In the car park at work I've done alot of lock-to-lock turning and it all feels completly normal.

Other than jack it up and check nothing's loose, what else can I look at?

YN08 RNX Viper Blue 1.6 K series

• Leadership Team

Sounds silly but are you sure you haven't left any tools by the bulkhead? I had exactly this when I was interrupted putting the car away after doing some work. I had left a stubby screwdriver under the bonnet which was just the right size to block the upper steering column until I forced it out, but of course rolled back in again to block it again later.

Michael

I had exactly this problem a few years ago. Was feeling flush at the time so replaced the steering rack and the problem never came back. So my guess is it's something in side the rack.

Do make sure that the clamp on the telescopic part of the steering column is tight as it's an easy fix!

back here because I want to be.

I had a very similar thing wot 'appened to me before an MOT. Very stiff steering, low speed, steering weighed a ton, intermittent. At first I thought it was the rack or a trunnion or the top link. The MOT garage identified the problem; a track rod end that looked like half a builder's yard had crawled in under the rubber, and corrosion on the bearing surfaces. It was sticking (almost locking) in a "rolled back" position, presumably after compression on cornering. Worth checking?

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest... 😬

well... and I feel like an idiot even typing this! As soon as I removed the bonnet, the problem was obvious: A pair of pliers left behind the pedal box where the upper column clamps to the lower! 😳 😳 😳 😳 *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek*

The rubber handles of the pliers are all mangled where the clamp has been forced over them! Feel very stupid, but very lucky, could have been much worse! And I'm always so careful to check for tools before putting the bonnet back on, well obviously not quite always!

YN08 RNX Viper Blue 1.6 K series

That sort of thing is a damn site more serious in an aeroplane.

Mate of mine in the RAF told me FOD (foreign object debris - they need an acronym for everything) is the biggest cause of shunts after pilot error.

I hope none of you bodgers work on aircraft *wink*

Friend's mother phoned her husband, who was sales manager of a large Ford garage, to say terrible clonking from under the car. He told her not to drive and sent out a mechanic who found a tin of soup under her seat, rolling back and forward with breaking and acceleration.