Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Faulty oil pressure gauge/sender?

Chris71

Hi,

Occasionally my oil pressure gauge registered a very low signal or drops out altogether. The oil level is fine, there's no sign of any consumption and the engine runs well, so I'm assuming it's a gauge or sender issue.

Are these common and what's the best way to diagnose it?

Cheers,

Chris

Sounds like a sender to me, mine did it to me in the middle of Italy and brought on a mild panic attack *eek*

A quick undo of the old one and swap to a new one sorted teh flappy needle madness 😬

regards

Rob

R300YEEEEEEEEEEESS

To test whether its the gauge or sender at fault disconnect the sender & touch the wire to the engine block (or any earth point). Switch on the ignition. If the gauge is OK it should immediately give a high reading off the scale.

• Support Team

The only problem with replacing the faulty sender unit is that they fail so very frequently *mad* *mad*(I had three in six years) that you can never rely on the reading they give *confused*. To the extent that even when the gauge does show low pressure, you just put it down to a faulty sender (which it usually is), but it could actually be low oil pressure *cry*. If you can't rely on the gauge reading you might as well not have one.

The easiest solution, and one which gives much more certainty and durability, and therefore peace of mind, is to fit a mechanical gauge *thumbup* *thumbup*. There are lots of threads on it if you do a search. Mine's a very nice Stack gauge *smokin*.

Rob