Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Toyo Proxes RIR

alan c

Just changed from 13" R888 to 15" R1R. Amazing tyres, you get 6.5mm tread compared to 5mm with 888's and a wear rating of 140 compared to 100 for the 888. I've got 195/50/15 and 205/50/15. Used them om the Welsh chippy run and grip wise they work from cold and compared to 888 I would say they are about 95% as good. Not as yet had the opportunity but they are supposed to be brilliant in the wet, unlike 888's which have a warning on the stickers about usage in the wet these have nothing. Use my car for touring a lot ie, 8 trips to France so far and got fed up with the lack of mileage with the 888's it will be interesting to see what these are like. Put it this way I'm that impressed I've sold my MB rims/Toyo R888's! What the difference would be like on track can't comment as I don't track my car. Price wise I got 4 fitted balanced new stubby valves for £365 all in. A pity they don't do them in 13".

• Area Representative

Interesting.

I may try a set some time.

I wonder how the wear would compare with that on the Toyo T1Rs - about 10,000m in the 21. I see that they weigh a little more (2.5kg per item).

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

prs

thanks for your view, I had hoped I might get some positive feedback on them as they look like a good compromise.

They dont do the sizes I need for the wheels I have on the car hence post in wanted for some 15in wheels.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late to this thread, but here are my posts on usa7s.com about these tires:

I installed a set of Toyo R1Rs. We bent the wing stays very slightly to accommodate the tires, something I found to be a simple matter, as noted earlier in this thread. The tires are UTQG 140 AA A, so street legal and not requiring race mods to run in D Modified (prop shroud, external cut off, etc.). I have been warned that the tires will wear fairly quickly for street use on most cars, but most cars are a lot heavier than 1420 lbs. I drive about 4000 miles per year, plus about 15 autocross events. If I have to put on a new set each year, it seems a fair price to pay in terms of cost to compete. I have put a couple of hundred miles on the tires and run one autocross so far, and the tires are great! They ride softer than the Avon ZZ3s on the highway, with a slightly higher tendency to react to road crown as well as a little more jiggle in the wheel on uneven road surfaces. These traits are only noticable with hands off the wheel, and they do not cause the car to react uncomfortably in normal driving. As an autocross tire, they transform the car: turn in is dramatically sharper, and the back end just sticks. Previously, the car was very easy to overdrive, oversteering on throttle and brake, but also capable of plowing as the front end lost grip. Now you just point and the car goes there, and lateral grip is very high. In my first event on these tires, with no practice, I won my class by almost 3 seconds against a CRX running 255 series DOT slicks, and was fast modified in any class (including beating an E Mod Cobra with a 500 hp turbo V8 and Ecsta V710s). On a 60 degree day, the tires never got above 90 degrees F, and the pyrometer I used showed a 5 degree spread from edge to edge at 21 psi (I run 18 psi on the road), with sidewall roll over just barely on the vertical side of the tread edge. I don't know that these would be the best choice as a road only tire due to the softness of the compund, but for my purposes I am very pleased.

I find the Toyo R1R to be a very good wet weather tire, based on the VERY wet SoloPro school I attended today. Very good grip, both off the line with 2000 rpm standing starts (needs 3000 rpm in the dry), and in transient maneuvers. Breaks away progressively, and easy to catch. The tires also handled standing water on course without hydroplaning or snatching the wheel out of my hand.

I have now run 5 autocross events and a school day. I have won all 5 events, against drivers using Kumho 710 and Hoosier A06 DOT slicks. Tire wear is negligible, and they fit on my 16" Caterham "wagon wheel" rims (205/45 ZR16). *thumbup*

Brad

2005 SV SVT Zetec

Hi,

Based on comments I have sourced some 15in wheels so I am going to try these.

Current wheels have 205/50 15 on front and 225/50 15 on reear and R1R not available in those sizes, could have gone on a set of HPC wheels I have but wanted to try and stay with 50 profile.

Should get them on within a couple of weeks and will give them a good run to the Le Mans Classic next month.

Alan

It is important to note that Toyo is somewhat flexible with their size measurements on these tires. My 205/45ZR16s are a little (approx 5mm) wider than the same size Avon ZZ3s, as well as slightly smaller in overall diameter. I have also found that the 195/55ZR15 is the same width as the 205 16s.

Brad

2005 SV SVT(st170) Zetec

Brad

Noted but hopefully not too much of an issue as I am replacing Toyo T1R's of the same nominal size, sure they will be some change but shouldn't be too bad.

When I changed from Avon ZZ3's I had to 'adapt' the wing stays a little so unless the RIR's are very different to the T1R's I should be ok, time will tell!

Alan