Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow Engine Mount HELP

mikes

On my ’89 xflow I thought I just had a broken right hand side engine mount. I could see that the bottom arm of the tubing had broken near to the engine. When I removed the broken mount I found that the main bolt which goes through the rubber mount has sheared at the level of the chassis tubing.

Does anybody have any ideas about how to remove this remaining bit of threaded bolt from the chassis?

Mike

☹️

The bolt into the block has sheared, Felix.

If there is enough thread left, and I don't suppose there will be, you could put two slim nuts on it and then screw it out.

If not it's going to need drilling and a stud extractor-if you don't have the right gear for this I would advise you contact an expert who will come out and do it quickly and easily - in my experience this is much better than struggling with it for days yourself.

Paul

Sorry, just read your message properly and now understand it's the main bolt down into the bush on the mount.

Just remove the rubber mount itself by removing the two bolts which hold it. Then get it in the vice, drill it and use a stud extractor which should bring it out easy - these bolts are not usually very tight.

If you've got the top of the mounting shimmed to adjust carb/exhaust height then replace the old bolt with a 2 3/4 inch to make sure sufficient of the bolt enters the mount

Paul

Edited by - Paul McKenzie on 24 Aug 2002 13:00:38

Thanks for the advice. From the way it looked it appeared that the 1/2" bolt actually went through the mounting rubber and bolted into the chassis. I see now that this would be rather stupid and would somewhat defeat the point of the mount rubber. I think it was the way the bolt had rubbed against the top of the chassis that made it look like it should be bolted through there. I am much relieved that all I now need is a new rubber. Mike *smile*