Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bighead Fastener Failure - Removal?

c7jhc

I have just noticed that one of the hoops on one of the Bighead Fasteners holding one of the cycle wings in place has failed. The Fasteners are fixed to the cycle wing with HV-350 adhesive. They have been fine for nearly 5 years since I built the car. I am hoping I can fix this after I return from Le Mans (the other 3 Fasteners on the wing look fine and the second hoop on the broken Fastener looks ok).

1. How do I remove the broken Fastener?

2. Where can I source new Fasteners?

Not sure what you would use for removal - if you cannot get a solvent to remove it!? I guess you will just have to do it with a sharp blade.

I have struggled to source big heads in small quantities but have found a place that supply in units of 25! I have bought some this week and would gladly let you have a few just to cover my costs if they will suite!

Good luck!

Garth

atlast

Hi Garth,

If what you have sourced are the standard Bighead Fasteners I will gladly take a few off you - perhaps four so I have spares? I guess you are correct regarding the blade - I was hoping there might be a 'clever' method!! *smile* If I let you have my email is that the best way to organize the fasteners?

Garth - I have sent you an email.

Decided I will replace the broken fastener before I go to Le Mans.

If I can purchase some fasteners from you this week I can hopefully do the work over the bank holiday weekend.

The Dremel has been one of the most useful tools i have had during my build - helped me out of a few tight spots! Not to good on soft stuff though tends to clog the heads!

Am away so sorry not to have responded earlier - when I get to my desk tomorrow I will respond to your e-mail and make arrangements.

Garth

atlast

They do still list them on their web site, but they have a min order charge and a rather heavy postage charge, so you have to spend about £15 ☹️ before you have bought anything!! Ok for the bigger stuff! *wink*

atlast

I have replaced several of these over the last few years and I find the best way is to cut around the edge of the fastener with a sharp Stanley knife and then slide a sharp scraper under the fastener working the handle from side to side. You ned a good lubricant on the blade to prevent it dragging on the adhesive.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS