Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sticky steering in stop-start traffic

Myles

One of my sevens has a minor annoyance in that in heavy traffic, the steering gets stiffer and stiffer. This has happened to some other sevens that I know (not all Caterhams) when on tour in Continental heat.

There has been a suggestion that this might be the (upper) steering column bushing needing a clean/re-grease - but I can't believe that it's getting enough variation in temperature to make a difference.

Isn't it more likely that the rack is getting a bit toasty - sitting (as it does) so close to the radiator-blast?

Anyone else had this kind of problem? You chaps down in the expensive end of Blighty must get it all the time with your gridlock... *tongue* *wink*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Mine did this because the bearings were full of grit and were locking, it cost me a new set of bushes and an upper column as i delt with it by spraying silicone lube into the bushes for 2 years before i plucked up the courage to actually have a look at what was wrong. It was worse when running hot, but not sure why.

It has to be said that grit and spray lube make a very good grinding paste

I've had exactly the same problem and solved it by sliding out the steering column, having disconnected it from the rack, sliding out the top nylon bush and cleaning it with warm soapy water. I reassembled it with silicon grease spray (not too much) and it's fine now.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

I had a similar problem a few years ago. It would get stiffer and stiffer as I drove along in a straight line - might have been temperature related, I don't know. Was particularly nasty heading down the motorway!

I was feeling flush at the time and didn't have the time to investigate so I replaced the rack.

back here because I want to be.

• Area Representative

It could be the rack. It has a nylon bush that presses against the back of the rack to keep the teeth in mesh with the pinion. It is adjusted by the big lock nut and grub screw on the rack.

I noticed that my steering became "sticky" and put it down to this nylon"pad" getting dry. I had the nylon pad replaced by a phospher bronze bush mainly to cure the play in the rack and constant need for adjustment (I hate even a tiny amount of play). Getting rid of the "stickiness" was a bonus.

Suggest you could try lubricating this pad and see if there is an improvement.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Coincidently mine did this tonight on the way home from work. Its hot, and was on the motorway. After Id fought through the slow traffic and on the free moving motorway, the steering felt horrid - like it was sticky and jerky. Ive just jacked the front up and by turning the steering wheel there is sometimes a creaking noise from the top end of the column.

Ive not noticed it before - I could remove the upper column and squirt some rubber/ nylon lube in there and see what that does.

Until Ive done that, I wont be sure, like Myles, that its not the rack getting hot.