Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reading the dipstick on a K series with nice clean oil

Rullingen

OK, I bought my 1600 Roadsport from Millwoods in Jan with 4800 on the clock. 😬 It had just been services so had ulta-clean oil in. *cool* I checked the oil level, with the engine running as prescribed, but was so clean I couldn't make out where the level was on the yellow plastic bit. All of it seemed wet, so didn't worry much. *rolleyes*

Since then I've checked it several times and am still completely at a loss as to where the level is. *confused*

She's done over 6000 now; the oil is still lovely and clean and I'm getting a bit scared that I can't distinguish the exact level. *eek* I've tried carefully rolling it across a clean tissue hoping that it would show up, but it leaves oil traces right across the tissue.

*idea* Does anyone have any bright suggestions as to how I can tell how much oil I have in the sump, short of draining it all out and measuring it? *rolleyes*

Rob.

Engine running and up to temp, remove dipstick and clean it off with a tissue. Then dip it in and back out quickly - check the oil level by rolling the dipstick across a clean tissue as you suggest. If it is covered in oil then it sounds like there is too much in it.

• Area Representative

Like Grubbster said *arrowup*

But make sure dipstick mis really really clean otherwise oil tends to creep up it. *thumbup*

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional