Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Touch up paint

richard bradbury

1. Use a drop of cellulose thinners to make it more workable

2. It's probably stoving paint so will need heat to cure it.

3. when I was in the business we had a catalyst to cure stoving paint for touch up but I don't know the make up of this paint.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Thank you Derbyshire council for chipping the road and not putting up any signs *mad* - I now have a chipped bonnet (caterham black) and a chipped nose cone (caterham yellow.) Do CC sell touch up pots anyone know / what is the best match from Halfords????

Got an email back from CC spares. They say they can only supply the same paint and as it is 2 pac will be the same as the last lot (IE thick and not set ☹️) Anyone know if hardener is available over the counter in sensible quantities if thats what is needed????

not sure which yellow / orange colour you have, I have Aztec / Mclaren orange, seems surprising Caterham would supply a touch up paint that would not cure / Harden but have also been following this thread here

which may be helpful

Tim

The only way I got a good color match in a spay was through:

Wessex Autocolors 6 Headquarters Road West Wilts Trading Estate Westbury. Wiltshire. BA13 4JR T: 01373 827266. F: 01373 858690. E: info@wessexautocolors.co

They need a sample but will mix it up and return it within 24hours (did a perfect match on mine in 12hrs) - cost £13 for 40ml aerosol

Nick

I can't help with a paint code but went to Colour Match in HIgh Wycombe to get a match on the yellow. I read on here(another post) that vauxhall 51u(cargo yellow) was a close match & they made me up an aerosol of it.

Used it last night on the 7 on the grille which was yellow but badly chipped & the match looks 100% accurate to me. The colour on the nose cone & grille is about 2 years old so may not have faded that much?

Phil.

Edited by - Cookie Monster on 6 Jul 2010 13:48:24

Just got this back from the nice people at CC

Hi Dave,

Please see the table below which shows the green and yellow (do not have a code for base black)

Caterham Standard Colour Mixing Codes

Yellow - 1 litre

AM44 649

51 658

7 668

1 672.6

AK 100 1180.6

Green - 1 litre

AM 32 277

43 399

6 478

1 488

AK 100 997

Make sense? Can Halfords make use of this do you think?

*arrowup* Yep - most large branches of Halfords can mix paint while you wait, assuming you've got the correct codes, although you'll almost certainly have to pre-order the Yellow as they're not allowed to mix that in branch. Something to do with H & S regarding the pigments I think.

Mark.

Yep Russell is right - they told me that they can't mix it because of lead content.They didn't advise of being able to do it off the premises & the Manager was similarly clueless too - no change there then *eek*

My suggestion would be to use a pro paint mixing/matching service - see my earlier post

Phil.

I've not read through all the posts so I'm not sure exactly what's required but the beauty of the Halfords system is that the stuff they mix on site, or you order & arrives in-store the following day if it's certain colours like yellow, is the traditional cellulose base & not two pack.

I'd never even consider using 2k paint unless you had the appropriate equipment, air fed mask, etc. etc.

Most trade paint counters nowadays only seem to sell 2k paint with very little cellulose available. I'm not sure why the H & S police haven't stopped Halfords selling cellulose yet, I'm sure it's only a matter of time ☹️, but when I spoke to them last year they had no plans to stop supplying it.

Hope this helps

Mark.