Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VVC suspension problems

Phil Smith

My car started of life in 1997 as a standard 1.6 k series with supersport wide track suspension, 150lb springs on the front standard variable rate on the back, a rear anti roll bar and a 19mm front roll bar (I think). I have recently replaced the engine with a 1.8VVC, as this engine sits lower in the engine bay by about 15mm, my already low ground clearance (due to using 13 inch wheels and 60 profile tyres) has become to low. I tried lifting the front of the car using the adjustable spring seats but car was all over the place. I then bought a Juno fast road handling kit (12mm front roll bar, 300lb fronts and 200lb straight rate rears) I also had my front shocks re-grooved. The car now has the correct ground clearance of about 70mm and is fantastic on smooth main roads. But on any other type of road the car bounces all over the place becoming almost un-drivable on some of the more bumpy roads. Before the engine change I had a very good compromise between comfort and handling. Does anyone have any ideas how to overcome my problem (without buying some larger diameter wheels)? Thanks for your help

Phil Smith

It sounds like you've got the same springs kit from Juno as me. I couldn't get on with the bumpy road bucking bronco effect either. My diagnosis for what it's worth is that the rear dampers cannot cope with the stiffer rear springs and they allow the springs to rebound far too quickly which pogos you out of the seat and also causes loss of traction over bumps and other more scary performance. The solution? put the standard springs back on the rear but leave the stiffer front ones on. I haven't approached Juno for their comments and I reckon the springs would probably be spot on for the track but for our UK roads they're definately too much for me.

That sounds like a good compromise Stewart. 200lb rears sound horribly stiff for road (esp. bumpy!) use. A few years ago the Juno kit came with 150lb linear rears which would be rather more like it. I've recently switched from the standard progressive rears to linear 170lbs and wouldn't say that it's made any great improvement to the cars handling. For a mixture of road and track use I reckon the progressive rears are excellent.

Mike