Click here if you are having website access problems ×

For Sale - Red Caterham Supersprint 1991 - 2.0L Raceline Zetec (Fitted Oct 2008) - Reduced

a7bca

For sale is my 1991 Caterham Superspint, in Red, with recently fitted Ford Zetec engine.

I am selling as we are having our first baby in October, and dont feel the car will

get any use for a few years. I would rather it is used, than go to rack and ruin in the

garage.

The car had a new Raceline Zetec engine fitted in October 2008, by James Whiting.

(I have all documents to proove this). It has done about 3500 miles on the new engine only, which cost about £5k to fit.

The engine is in it's base form, with about 160BHP, so there is a nice upgrade path to approx 220BHP if you are looking for a car to upgrade.

As part of the new engine, the car also has new lightened fly wheel, new clutch,

new exhaust, new alternator...

Having a new engine should take out a huge part of the risk of buying an older Caterham.

Current Mileage : 26800

Engine Fitted at : 23415

Details

2.0L Raceline Zetec Engine, Fitted 10/2008 by James Whiting

Twin 40 DCOE Webers

Quaife LSD

5 Speed Gerbox

De-Dion Axle

Leather Seats

Heater

Intermittent Wipers

Clamshell Wings

15" Prisoner Alloy Wheels

FIA Rollbar

7 Grille

Heated Screen

Full weather gear

Recently fitted new 4 point harness belts (Caterham Supplied)

Originally Factory built

Private Plate - Included in sale

Tyres - All 5mm +

Also includes:

Indoor Cover

Original Full Leather Hood

Hood bag

Softbits for 7's - Half Hood Plus (with back zip on)

Softbits for 7's - Sprint Tunnel bag

Last Serviced May 2010

MOT until May 2011

Tax until October 2010

Also had new brake Pads & Discs - May 2009

I am owner No.8.

I have a large & healthy stack of paperwork on it (lots of receipts, MOTs etc),

also including the history details direct from caterham, DVLA history, original order form etc.

Since I have owned the car I have had it garaged, it has been serviced and MOT'd by James Whiting each year.

**NOTE**

The car could benefit from a rolling road session, just really as the new engine settles down, to properly tune the carbs with it. it only needs minor tweaking and this is only really required for when the car is cold...

**PHOTOS**

Photos Here

Car Location - Buckinghamshire, near Hazlemere

Price £10,000 **REDUCED**

Any Questions, please let me know.

-----------------------------------------------------

Caterham Red 1991 Supersprint - 2.0L Zetec

my car habit...

Edited by - a7bca on 26 May 2010 08:45:14

Edited by - a7bca on 19 Jun 2010 10:44:35

I would say that your 7 is priced very competitively for the spec, it has a nice level of power with good potential for upgrade at some point in the future

Have you tried advertising it on pistonheads, in addition to blatchat, to reach a wider audience. Good luck

Go for it. Flares aren't to everyones taste, but I think they suit the older 7's and yours does look nice and original. Someone will snap that up, as and when they see it *thumbup*

Pistonheads will definately help, but I would avoid ebay. All in my opinion of course

In relation to the question of price, I think it's a touch high. The thing about the car is that it will probably have a relatively small market amongst the buyers out there. You may get it, but you will prob have to be patient. I'd suggest lowering it to just below 10.

If you don't mind me saying, IMO I'd get the problems fixed PDQ. It does lessen the appeal even though you have been up front with the problems.

Nice looking car- good luck with the sale.

Graham

Hi

Thanks for your thoughts. Fortunately, I can be patient, I am not exactly desperate to sell it, I have been tempted just to hide it away until a future date, but just seems a waste of it to do so. That said, price wise, all things are negotiable of course...and for the right offer..

Re the minor issues, yes i am planning to get them resolved sooner, think you are right there and that is the best thing to do, but in the mean time I felt it is right to be clear & honest on them.

To clarify though they are minor. The rad is not leaking water as such, with pools of water on the floor etc. The bottom corners are just a bit damp. It has not caused any overheating and in the mean time it is simply prudent to keep an eye on the water level. And the carbs, just need tweaking, the car is very useable & driveable, and great fun to drive. I have been letting the engine fully settle etc before getting this done simply as that was the advice from James W.

Cheers James

my car habit...

Just to add my two penn'orth to the above comments - I bought a '92 SuperSprint three years ago for £8500.00 and then took it to Raceline for the Zetec upgrade. The whole job came to around £10k *eek* but boy was it worth it. 😬

I just wish I had had the chance of a car like james' coz it would have saved me a fortune.

If anyone is even just thinking about buying this car then GO FOR IT !! it is cheap cheap cheap.

Incidentally, I have no connection with James.

I think you've priced it fairly well, as the others say, get the carbs sorted and you have a real number *cool*. i am tempted as a Zetec conv. on my x/flow will cost approx 3-4K and the car's worth 6-7K so all in all a good buy.

I am trying not to hit the "I am going to buy this car" button 😳

Windscreens... They're for poofs

hi

my conversion cost me £5k, but as i had an AX block was able to get about £1k back from my broken down Xflow bits. That did help, but was lucky that I had the AX block.

let me know if you press the button!

Think it will get a blast in the sun this weekend!

James

my car habit...

now booked into get the bits sorted at the end of june. Must be lots of sevens needing loving right now as that was the first date available!

*wavey*

my car habit...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so the radiator i think is ok since the cap was replaced.As far as i can tell it seems ok now. there is no water spray marks appearing now, so me being a bit dim i think,,,,

I can't now get the rolling road done, and as i said it does not need it, it could just benefit from it if that makes sense.

anyhow to reflect this I will reduce the price to £10,000, so if you do want to get the rolling road done, the reduction should more than cover that....

I will update the post too...

James

my car habit...