Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lumenition ECU and throttle bodies on 1.6k

Tim Sture

Ignore simon, seeing as he got you where you are... *wink*

Hoopy,

V7 is right that most of the airspeed effects in the port result in poor emissions rather than power. Fuel paths into the combustion chamber are legion. There is typically 10 times the quantity of fuel injected in a single cycle just hanging around in the inlet tract. The k-series and any pent-roof 16 valve design has very effective squish bands to provide turbulence and good mixing of the mixture.

The k-series does have very shallow port angles and this promotes swirl as well. A more performance orientated engine design would have more downdraft, but would probably also be oversquare. The combination of shallow port angle and long stroke doesn't appear to be a problem though in developing 140bhp/litre.

The exhaust that Tim is running kills the mid-range.

I agree with PC about bodging. It's great if it leads you to the ends you aim at, but if you are aiming at only a stepping stone towards further greatness you will want to save yourself the hassle later and buy the proper kit now.

... and if you speak to the right oil-covered man you may be able to save a bit on the cost of those verniers too. *wink*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

OTOH hand you should be able to get someone to map it for you for a few hundred. OK, so you don't have the cables, but unless your other half is about to let you install a rolling road in your garage they're only any use for impressing your mates (and if you don't have a laptop you'd need one of those too, or a *really* long serial lead.).

Verniers would be good. They look nice too (for the 10mins you actually get to see them for) and your other half wouldn't think you've gone soft and stopped spending. They do like to be proven right these women...

andy@c7consulting.com

Hmmm it might make sense to get verniers now, taking the long term view. Mind you - I seem to remember the long term view taken by V7 (the "I might as well do x while I'm at it") seems to have turned a cost of a few hundred into a couple of grand 😬

Will have to get in touch with WGT and see what they suggest.

As on another post tonight I second Peter about the exhaust. We have his old one on our car Tim, and it really transformed the mid range from what it was like when you drove it at Elvington. I was surprised that I noticed the difference as soon as I drove away from Peters garage after fitting - thought I would only notice it at higher speeds or track. Do the exhaust NOW!! (See you at the Ladies Day)

😬24,000 miles in 1 year! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk