Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K click relay mod - question

Neil_K

Following these instruction here to fit an external relay for the starter, I don't understand how the original relay in the MFU is bypassed? Surely adding another relay will essentially be after the MFU relay, and therefore the poor MFU relay will still be in circuit?

Comparing to the instructions on Myles site (originally by Chris W *thumbup*) the relay is cut out of the MFU and a new one added instead.

The first option direct off the battery seems to be the preferred method, but I can't get my head around how it's triggered without getting the same problems *confused*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Calm down dear, it's only a forum!

Not bypassed, but the MFU relay now only has to operate the new relay which does the heavy work and directly connects the battery to the solenoid.

I had the MFU relay bypassed but when that stopped working so well I added another relay which directly connected the battery to the solenoid! It worked for a while but the change that really cured things for me was re-routing the wiring so that everything but the main starter feed goes through the battery cut-off switch. It won't pass scrutineering but I feel it's adequate for a road car.

• Leadership Team

I've done it both ways - old car I by-passed the MFU and t worked great, new car I left the MFU in and added the new relay, and worked equally as well. The MFU is a perfectly reliable piece of kit, it just doesn't like the load/heat in the Caterham install. Reduce the load and it works fine.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Sorry to hijack this thread, but having discovered my car suffering from the dreaded click this weekend I am all of a sudden interested in it.....

In my case I am pretty sure the starter is engaging but then not powering the motor. Reason being on one occasion it went click, there was a slight pause and then the starter spun the engine over and it started fine.

Is adding a relay likely to help in this situation or is it more likely something else ?

Cheers,

John

• Area Representative

John

If the starter is actually engaging, then relay mod may not help.

Click is usually when power to actuate the starter solenoid isn't happening and usually happens when engine is hot.

Your problem could be dirty contacts and gummed up starter/slenoid.

You could try relay mod (less than £10 and 30 mins) as it will do no harm. If not cured suggest stripping and cleaning starter.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Thanks - I will put a relay in and see what happens. I've not had a problem before and have started the car previously on a hot engine, but rarely after it is stood for just a few minutes hot - normally it's straight away after stalling or after it's cooled down.

I have now cleaned up the contacts, they were ok but are better now, and also tightened up the top mounting bolt, which was falling out !

Something about the relay mod which is never mentioned - if the relay sticks on then this would be bad, as turning off the ignition wont stop the starter from running. I guess it's rare for a relay to fail in that way but in theory could happen. It's worth the risk if it means I don't get the click though. Off to Maplin :)

Cheers,

John

Follow the instructions linked to above. Nice and easy. 30 amp fuse in the 30 amp relay, and make sure you use 30 amp wiring too, or that will burn out before the fuse should a short occur ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Calm down dear, it's only a forum!