Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help required please! Electrical cock-up Now fixed

S1MON

OK I’ll get the embarrassing bit over with first.

I fitted a starter button last week and in the process I managed to get a few sparks flying and a bit of smoke! 🙆🏻

The ignition was on and I think I caught one of the terminals on the dash. 🙆🏻

After a bit of panic and cussing I tried it and all worked well.

I had a drive on Friday – alls fine. I had a drive Saturday alls fine. Sunday, beautiful morning, I get in the car and get the dreaded click. This being a bit too much of a coincidence me messing with electrics and the car not starting I go back over my work and sure enough find a problem. One of the wires going to the red button has shorted against a wire going to the wiper switch!

I remove the wiring to the starter button, essentially put it back to a non starter button state and still get the click.

Battery smelled a bit funny, put it on charge and it took a charge. I hoped this might be the problem. It wasn’t but battery is now fully charged, still get the click. Tried the battery in Paul Richards 7 and it started his first time.

Paul suggested taking a wire from the starter motor (small spade connector) direct to the + on battery to see if it would start (ignition on of course). Still doesn’t start.

Could what I have done beggared up the starter motor or solenoid? Or should I be looking else where? I don't really want to be spending money on something that may not be broken!

I have checked the fuses in fuse box

The fuel pump primes.

Bumb started OK

And it’s a 1.8 K series.

Simon

DK57GWZ soon to be S111 SVN

Lotus/Caterham 7 Map

Edited by - S1MON on 11 May 2010 06:09:16

Edited by - S1MON on 11 May 2010 12:41:08

Edited by - S1MON on 15 May 2010 14:10:34

Simon

Did you remove the existing spade connector 1st? if there is a short in that circuit it might stop the starter from doing it's thing but I doubt it.

If you did remove it when putting a live feed to the small connector on the starter and it doesn't turn over then your problem is either the starter, possibly the master switch if you have one, or also check the earths from battery to body/ engine

Mark

• Area Representative

Simon

The more I think about it, the more I think it is a bad connection - possibly battery leads, main contact on starter or earth.

Give them a try and let me know. If you push start the car, you can bring it over this evening and I'll have a look at it. Better to do it here if we can, as I have all the tools we may need. If cleaning the contacts doesn't work we can take off the starter to test it.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Simon

I think it may just be a coincidence that your starter is playing up

Mark

I'm coming to that conclusion as well as it had run on two occasions without problem.

I've had a look at the connections suggested earlier and they seem fine.

I've checked the fuses in the fuse box and they are OK, are there fuses any where else I should check?

As mentioned earlier I have tried a direct feed from the battery to the solenoid and still just got a click (no battery cut off switch).

My starter motor is labelled (0 986 018 240 12v 1.4kW) which when I google it comes up as a 'Bosch 108 series RB-Star0073 10 tooth'. What confuses me as in the spec it says Ford.

Thanks for the input everyone

Simon

Lotus/Caterham 7 Map

Simon,

Please try wiggling the post that the battery feed connects to on the solenoid. It is probably the internal contacts on the solenoid that are gunked up. I have the same issue. The post may wiggle a bit like mine does. I tightened the nut down to pull the post up, then put in the battery lead and another nut.. seems to work until i get a new solenoid.

Bosch supply the starters to ford.

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

The rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

I've replaced the starter motor with a Bosch replacement (0 001 108 111) from Manchester Auto Electrical Ltd (0161 873 8300) for the princely sum of £45 inc vat, which I didn't think was to bad especially when you consider that the same one sold from Caterham at £264 *confused* is also a remanufacture! (you can just make out remanufactured on the photo on the Caterham website)

All seems to be working fine now *wink*

Simon

Lotus/Caterham 7 Map

Edited by - S1MON on 16 May 2010 09:51:56