Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

overcoming problems when fitting LED indicator bulbs.

SUPERLIGHT91

I am aiming to replace as many bulbs on the seven with LED bulbs - partly to do my bit to preserve battery life (every little helps when stranded on the M20 with the hazards on for 2 hours awaiting recovery, that I experienced a few weeks ago).

So far I have changed side repeaters, front indicators and side-light bulbs.

Result: hazards work fine, and obviously draw a bit less current than standard filament bulbs. However, when using the regular indicators left or right they now flash fast in the same way they do to warn you when a bulb is out.

Is there anything that can be fitted in-line to make the indicators work normally when using LED bulbs? *rolleyes*

Superlight (mk.1) 1800k car #91

Thanks Ian - indeed with the resistors no advantage on current saving, so it may be worth considering changing other bulbs for LEDs first (mind you the LED f.indicator bulbs I ordered from HongKong are good in that they are completely clear but light up orange, and compliment the clear indicator lenses well)

BTW Push button is all wired in now and worked first time (thanks to the 'how to' section that made it a very simple mod.)

See you next Thu at Ringlestone most probably and have a good LeBlat in the mean time.

thanks Matthew

replacement relay looks an interesting idea though - I like the plug-in and go possibility with no furhter mods. to wiring.

Also looking for a good cheap supply of 5w and 21w equivalent white LED bulbs to populate the rear cluster (can use white lights in that as the lens remains coloured on thos). I will keep browsing the web and ebay for now.

I will try to leave the headlight bulbs as they are though as LED's still aren't bright enough for all applications, although they are getting better these days.

• Area Representative

Matthew

I have found a circuit using a 555 timer chip, it would require a fair amount of work to build the circuit on a board though which may be more involved than you want. Might be a good winter project though?

Can copy the circuit and email it to you if required.

Nick

Lava Orange Caterham Blackbird *cool*