Click here if you are having website access problems ×

way too high revs - Fixed - have included the fault and fix.

Chaz23

Hi,

Tried ringing. Assume someone is on with you.

If you haven't got it sorted:

Check the cable is fitted ok, the bush thing that fits into the pedal box end is pushed in home and the nipples are located correctly at both the pedal and engine ends.

Then check the adjustment end at the engine. There are two nuts on a threaded bit. Undo the nuts to let the throttle spindle relax on its spring. You will find one of the nuts is holding the throttle open. Relax the nut until the throttle spindle rests on the idle screw and is not held open by the cable. Then lock it up with the nut on the other side.

Willie

• Leadership Team

If those checks are OK then it's probably one of the internal throttle return springs has broken and is blocking the butterflies in the carbs from closing. Not a job to fix at the roadside unfortunately ☹️

Best of luck and let us know how you get on. Michael.

Many thanks to Jonathan Lee (I found his number on my phone).

The fault:

Short answer is I am a short 🙆🏻

Longer answer: It seems that the cable that started to snap is slightly longer than the replacement one and because I moved the pedals to a new location 3 years ago the new cable was pulling the throttle wide open. Temporary fix was to move the pedal back to the original position. The down side to this is that it is now difficult to get to 4500+ revs (so no chance of blowing the engine up).

All I need to do now is find somewhere that can make a throttle cable the length I need.

1993 De-Dion 1700 X/FLOW

Mad Hatter, Just spoken to them and they can make a couple of cables up for me if I get them the broken one - thankfully I will be in Basingstoke tomorrow morning and so could drop them off on the way back - slight detour but might be sorted before the weekend. Turns out that they used to make the cables for Caterham.

-----

1993 De-Dion 1700 X/FLOW