Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 Speed Gearbox

Paul Richards

• Area Representative

Looking to cure an oil leak on a 6 speed box. I am fairly certain that it is from the gasket where the lid fits on top. It is an alluminium top as opposed to a steel one on a type 9 5 speed.

Is there a breather hole in the alluminium top?

Are there any springs etc. likely to fly out when I take the top of the 6 speed?

Is the gasket the same as the 5 speed?

Any other tips?

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Are there any springs etc. likely to fly out when I take the top of the 6 speed?

No

Is the gasket the same as the 5 speed?

No

Early gearboxes had an O-ring. Later have been sealed with some kind of... sealer...

You may want to check the breather is the correct way round - if facing forwards oil can be pushed out in odd circumstances.

A little oil can be spread a long way.

Prop shaft seal is most common - oil can be flung everywhere. *mad* I speak from experiance

Good luck

• Area Representative

Thanks for responses so far. This is an early 6 speed g/box and therefore may well have an O ring.

Is the O ring reusable or is it likely to have expanded?

Assume O ring is a large one - the size of the gearbox top?

Assume O ring is available fron Caterham - would I be best to get a new one anyway?

Paul Richards

LADS Website

I've removed the lid of mine many times to fill the gearbox and to check the level - never replaced the O-ring.

I would guess that it has not been placed correctly, otherwise it's hardly stressed.

I don't know if CC supply it. Otherwise Road and Race probably could.

I can source it from one of my local suppliers (in Denmark), but I'd have to buy 50 or so because of the minimum buy they have.

It's very unlikely to be the top-plate, but if it is, then at least that can be fixed in-situ :)

The breather often leaks, especially if there is no tube on it - you can get to this if you remove the tunnel cover.

Changing the rear seal (standard Ford type-9 gearbox, if you can't get to CC) either means engine/box out, or move the diff/prop back (possible, but fiddly).

Are you sure it's gearbox oil? Dry-sump tower leaks can spread all over the gearbox :(

However, changing yhr conning tower O-rings is a doddle!

HTH - Simon

• Area Representative

Guys

Thanks for your comments. It's definitely gear oil and it's a wet sump car so no oil tank in the bell housing.

Leak is similar to one I recently had on my 5 speed and that was cured by renewing top plate gasket. I think the oil was under a little pressure caused by the gears wizzing round and the breather was blocked by paint.

At least I can remove the top to have a look without too much trouble.

Paul Richards

LADS Website