Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Exhaust slap.

Captainbilos

I own a VX classic (live axle etc...) and I am continuously having to change the Jubilee clips on the exhaust cover as they get ripped off when the silencer bottoms out on bumpy roads.

I've spoken to caterham about it, but they say there is not much that can be done.

Has anyone else experienced this? any suggestions welcome.

Paul

Paul,

I had the same problem on my "low rider"

You can try to move the jubilee clip round a little, so that the bit you tighten is not the lowest point. I managed to get mine out of the line of fire and havent had a problem since.

Another possible solution is to remove the rear bracket for the exhaust and bend it up a bit. This will help to raise the rear of the can a little.

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk

One day, all cars will be made this way!

I've had this problem for yonks although it only happens with two up. I eventually used the narrower shield from the rear exit system as a sort of exhaust guard and used ss clips to hold it and the top shield in place. It still bottoms on occasions but at least the silencer is not getting knackered. Buy yourself a Draper DIY jubilee kit. Brill and you have spare bits. *biggrin*

Try loosening the clip that joins the silencer to the collector and rotating the entire silencer so that the lip of the exhaust exit is lower than the can and re-tightening.

This results in the end of the exhaust hitting the ground before the can/jubilee clip. You get a flat spot on the end but it's not that serious as being round it tends to slide pretty well - as opposed to the clip which catches and snaps.

This does require a bit of give in the system and depends on the can and collector etc etc but worked for ages on my old stainless system.

On the newer carbon can this wasn't enough so I had Chris Wheeler do a cut and shut which raised the can a couple of inches.

You could try turning the L-shaped bracket at the rear of the exhaust so that the short side is towards the chassis. This can raise the exhaust by a couple of inches and keep it out of harms way. Failing that, remove the shield and warn any passengers not to touch it! (see previous thread on burn risks)

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

How about putting a small fold of metal (sheet), only needs to be about 30mm by 10mm, under the jubilee clip (between the silencer and clip) before tightening, and then folding it around so that it forms a local 'mini-shield' for the clip around the lowest point. Gives you a layer of metal to wear away before it gets to the clip. Bit Heath Robinson, but it may work until a more neat, permanent solution is found. IME you can vary the height of various parts of the silencer quite a bit by loosening the joints and twisting carefully.

😬24,000 miles in 1 year! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

I welded a small sacrificial mild steel pad, 3/8" thick, on the rear lower edge of my silencer to stop silencer damage. The same principle could be used on the front/rear to protect clips.

Or you could go realy trick and put on a titanium strip (great sparks !) *smile*