Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Broken on the A27

Clawhammer

Some of you may have seen me on the side of the A27 on your way home.

Have had the ignition light on since going to Wight Blat two weeks ago. I knew I had a charge going into the battery so decided to ignore it *nono*

Car had been fine being used over the last two weeks but when I came to leave Goodwood it needed a push from some of the other seven drivers present.(many thanks)

Headed out of Chichester on the A27 and after a few miles started to loose the guages one by one, and then the engine died 😔

Called the AA, 5.00 PM, at 6.00 a nice man in a big lorry came to remove me to a place of safety as he didn't have enough time left on his tacho to return me home.

So, off to Hedge End superstore car park. *rolleyes*

First man leaves and a very enthusiastic patrol man in his Renault van arrives and spends the next two hours striping the alternator off to check the wiring. Finds a broken wire on the back and proceeds to solder and fix it all back together.

Now feeling optomistic that I will be able to complete journey home unaided, that is once I get the feeling back in my hands and feet and my Knees stop shaking. (Shorts and a Tee shirt seemed like a good idea when I set off on a sunny afternoon for a short excursion )

Unfortunatly, when I fired the car up still had no charge rate *cry*

So at 8.30 and getting dark the decision was made for me to have a bloody great big box with an amber flashing light on top (and beeping VERY LOUDLY) sat in the passenger seat with leads drapped over the sill and into the engine bay connected to

the battery to get me home.

Certainly made for interesting journey with beeping, flashing lights, the ignition light glaring at me and the AA van following with headlights on 10 feet behind me

Very glad to be home at 9.30.

Took all the primaries off tonight and got the alternator out to have it checked tomorrow, then just tidying up under the car touched the big brown wire disconnected from the alternator and it fell off at the solenoid end *idea* *idea*

Might be my problem.

We will see tomorrow[

Thanks for stopping Stuart *thumbup*

RobinI]

SUPERLIGHT 176. PINK LIPS AND BITS *redface* *redface* *redface*