Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Carb tuning/rolling road anywhere near me (Surrey)

stephen grant

...for what is, in essence, a Mk III MG Midget (ie, the Westfield Eleven). I tried the Mini place in Byfleet (Minispeed), but they didn't really have a proper effort at tuning it ("seems ok to me mate, i'd leave it like that"). I've spoken to Andy Belcher but, understandably, he doesn't want to try because he doesn't have access to a rolling road.

Anyone know anyone out there that still knows how to tune Weber 45's and has a rolling road facility?

Thanks,

stephen

Ian at GRL is good for tuning but does not have a rolling road. When he needs to put a car on rollers he takes it to the Steve's at Rainham. You could try Airey Tuning who are between Winchester and Petersfield (www.dnbconsulting.co.uk/aireytuning.com) and have a good reputation with older motors.

Andy

I've used Airey Tuning for my 7 on twin carbs, he's old skool *thumbup* *thumbup*

He's not cheap, and his rolling road doesn't give print-outs, but he does what it says on the tin.

He has a stock of carb jets and other bits.

Watch out as he'll ask you to sit on the back of the car while it's on the rollers to help traction *eek*

Airey Tuning

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car - Now all shiney and new 😬

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks chaps,

After much ringing round and chatting to people (Ian @ GRL was hugely helpful), I decided to go with Tom Airey on the basis that he was the only recommended outfit that would allow me to hang around whilst he did the work. This is more convenient for me (rather than coming and going and coming back again, which ends up with me taking more time off work), and also allows me to see and learn. Warnings about additional cost noted, but I'm hoping it's worth it anyway. It's an hour or so each way, so i'll have a good opportunity to compare the state of tune before and after.

stephen

I think I visited him on a Sat morning, but could be wrong.

Tom can talk the back legs off a donkey, so be aware if you need to get home.

Suggest you check/renew your spark plugs as he'll check and possibly sell you a new expensive set (he did for me).

After he's worked his magic, he'll ask you to go for a quick blat up the road (turn left out of his place) and come back and tell him if you feel a difference.

I'm more than happy what he did for me, if expensive.

Cheers,

Andy

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car - Now all shiney and new 😬

Blimey, is he still doing it? I used to be a regular visitor in mini days (35+ years ago). He ran a Mini is rallycross as I remember so he knows the 'A' series well. Last time I was there he had started a Subaru dealership and was tied up with that and he had a second in command doing the RR work.

He is a top notch fella though.

Oily