Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K won’t idle

Adrian Williams

My 1600 supersport has stopped idling both hot and cold. I’ve reset the ECU by fully pressing the throttle several times but that didn’t cure it. Saturday afternoon the engine was idling as normal, started the car on Sunday and all of a sudden it won’t idle. Throttle stop adjustment screw has not moved but if I hold the throttle open and steady by hand it maintains it’s revs very steadily and doesn’t hunt up and down.

Engine runs perfectly in all other respects I just have to blip the throttle when waiting at traffic lights and junctions, anyone got any idea what’s wrong?

It does sound like the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). These can stick. Between the plenum and the cam cover there is a multi-plug connector. This is attached to the IACV. A pair of rubber hoses bridge between the filter side of the throttle body and the plenum side, via the valve. You can remove this to inspect and clean anything obvious.

Can I check your ECU resetting procedure:

1. Ignition on, engine not running

2. Exercise from zero throttle to full throttle and back again slowly five times.

3. Switch ignition off

4. Ignition on, start engine.

Sorry thread hijack attempt...

Peter,

Does the MEMs ECU have a non volatile memory for the throttle position? ie if you have a battery cutout switch (which I assume disconnects the MEMs 12V feed too) do you need to recalibrate the throttle pot before you drive everytime???

It would appear that the MEMs box might retain the data for a short time (ie 24 hours) but after this suffers brain fade. If I drive my car regularly then the idle speed control works fine, but if the car is left for a week then it seems to have more trouble sorting itself out.

I tried cleaning the control valve too.

PS my MEMs is an early VVC box BTW.

Thanks

JonP

The throttle pot is a wear item, but should only be used to give the ECU information on transients. The mapping is done against manifold absolute pressure, which is passed to the ECU down a vacuum hose and fuel trap mounted on the scuttle.

Normally for somthing like a 1.6K I can plug in my Emerald ECU and a laptop to diagnose the senders. This at least verifies the "garbage in" side of the problem.

Charlie.

The reset for my old MEMS unit was (having had the unit disconnected) to turn the ignition on but not start eng. The throttle pedal was then pushed fairly slowly three (maybe it was four?) times from fully closed to fully open position and return. After that there was a whirring and clicking in the engine area as parameters were reset. Turn off ignition, then start engine as normal & it all performed fine again.

Clamshell Club Founder Member.