Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Servicing Parts Query

GraemeP

Hi all,

I am going to attempt a K Series service myself (spanner virgin), and at the same time remove the sump baffle etc.

My 1800 K series has an apollo tank, does that require anything extra done to ensure all oil is drained??

I believe parts I need are:

Oil, filter and sump seal

sump gasket

fuel filter

plugs & air filter if required

brake fluid if required

Anyone suggest anything else I need to order before I get going? Also, I am best just going to Caterham for the bits, and what is the correct oil (assume I will need 8 litres with an Apollo tank)??

Thanks in advance - what's the worst that could happen !!

Graeme,

Oil, Current spec from CC is 5/50 fully synth. Comma (from your local motor factor) should be about £17 - £20 for 5 litres. You'll need 2 cans for wet sump wiht apollo.

Halfords have the same stuff for about £35

filter LPW100181 is OE part number. HOF213 is the halfords one. Both cheaper than CC.

sump seal - available at your local factor or halfords. Cheap from CC too...

sump gasket - you may not need to replace if this is the first time it's been off. Expensive, and CC only.

fuel filter - do a quick search

plugs - do a quick search. Depends on eu2 or 3 and supersport or not

air filter - clean and re oil unless its completely knackered

brake fluid - when was it last changed - more than 2 years replace. Dot 4 or 5.1

You should remove the drain plug from the bottom of the apollo to drain that down too. 10mm hex (same as diff and g/box plugs) you'll also need to brace the tank when you come to undo. some have a large fitting on the base you can fit a spanner to, enabling you to brace there.

Nice one Mav - thanks for that!

My car is a track spec set up, and I was a little suprised to see that the brake fluid is dot 4 - any advice on what is best to use for a car used for weekend blasts and track days?

I use dot 4 in my car, tracks and touring, not had a problem so far.

Halfords do a 'race' spec fluid. My Brothers bot use this in their track only cars and it seems to work well, but is changed every 12 months.

Plenty on here use all sorts of fluids - I guess it's down to preference and how many spare £'s you have as to what you use. A search will show what is commonly used amongst the 'sprint / race' bods. I've never had any probs with 4 or 5.1.

Fuel filter is here

I'll say this again....... If the oil is changed regularly then there is no need to drain the Apollo tank as most drains out when the oil filter is removed. Considering there is 7 litres or so in total, leaving a half to 1 litre within the system will cause no problem, especially as you'll be fitting a new filter.

If you do drain the tank make sure it is well braced with another spanner on the big hex because if you don't you run the risk of at best distorting the tank & at worst damaging it beyond repair. If there is no big hex then I wouldn't even try!

Mick makes a good point..

I ruined the drain on my Apollo and had a local help me re-tap it.. I change my oil once a year, and now tackle the removal of the Apollo contents by removing the oil filter, loosening the lower pipe to the Apollo and then raising it up slightly to allow the oil to flow out, via the filter housing.

Mick makes a good point..

I ruined the drain on my Apollo and had a local help me re-tap it.. I change my oil once a year, and now tackle the removal of the Apollo contents by removing the oil filter, loosening the lower pipe to the Apollo and then raising it up slightly to allow the oil to flow out, via the filter housing.

Sounds like a good approach to me! I will gather my bits this week (oh-er) and once the hearth I am casting in the garage is set I will get to work.

Is it worth trying a set of rally servicing style front and rear ramps to raise the car up a bit to make life easier? I may have access to a set of these.

Oh, also read elsewhere that diff oil should be topped up to the max - the car has a factory LSD - is this a wise thing to do? If so is there a standard diff oil to use?

I will order this and the main oil from opie oils today!

I took delivery of a set of Yokohama A048s from George Polley as well(again found the discount here so went for these over R888s) - they were delivered next day - faultless service!