Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Appollo Tank Failure

Jules Martin

At the end of an enjoyable morning at Brands on the GP circuit with my R500, I came into the pit garage will oil spewing onto the floor.

On closer examination with the engine running it looked like there was a crack in the side weld at the bottom of the tank.

Having just removed it, I found there was indeed a crack in the weld but it was the weld at the base of the tank.

Has anyone else experienced this type of failure?

It looks to me to be associated with vibration against the supporting plate for the tank.

Jules

I had a mocal type oil cooler (Aluminium) fatigue fracture where the baseplate extends for mounting. After this oily experience, I came to the conclusion that anything made from light gauge aluminium and subject to any vibration *confused* should be mounted 😳 on some form of isolating mounts (rubber bobbins etc.).

This assumes that longevity rather than absolute lowest weight is the criteria by which you are working. 😬

• 3 weeks later...

Jules.

Only just seen this posting. Due to the different front chassis cross struts on my '93 car, the Apollo tank fixings stress the can a bit more. I started the car in the garage and got no oil pressure after 3-4 seconds. I have an anti flow back valve fitted so oil pressure registers instantly (normally !). I shut the engine down to find about four litres of 300 mile old Mobil 1 covering my garage floor. The can had split around the center joining seam. Older cans had welded top sections. Probably stronger, but more expensive to produce I'd guess.

Thing is, I'd had a weep for some time, but could never trace it. Thought it was the top outlet, then the temp sender, then the base drain plug, when it must have been this seam all along.

Doesn't rag soaked in Mobil 1 burn for a long time!

(And yes, I was tempted to mop it up and strain it for re-use........but not for long!!!)

Edited by - chris clark on 10 Sep 2002 22:30:36