Click here if you are having website access problems ×

8.5" rears, fitting questions

stevefoster

Got my 8.5" rear wheels and they fit a treat with a tad ground off the De dion tube heel.

The question I have is will the rear anti roll bar system foul the wheel or the tyre?

I understand that it will. I have a 1997 chassis and the bar and mech seems a long way away from the tyre and rim. I have checked this even with max load on the suspension (max load I can generated when stationary at any rate).

The part that gets nearest the tyre would be the nyloc that holds the ball joint into the bar. This I could shave down and use thread lock on a thinner nut if necessary. The end of the bar extends near the tyre but is a good 7mm away. Perhaps under driving loads this is too close. I could alway cut the

end of the bar off as I don't use those positions ever.

I understand that there is a solution that uses the lower rear chassis rail gussets for mounting.

I don't really want the expense of this solution though.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

I ran with the ARB that you have and the bolt end and nyloc got worn away by the tyre. The Caterham fix is a different design of ARB running under the diff and needing new mounting bushes fitted in the chassis tube. Juno do an adjustable ARB mounted from the rear (oo er). The old school Caterham ARB also mounted off the rear plates.

I tried some 8.5's on the back on my 95 chassis, I think fitted with 9" slicks. Car wouldn't budge as the wheel/tyre combo was wedged against the ARB link. The underslung one was needed.

I actually thought it was the rim that was rubbing judging by the wear mark on the link, but could be wrong.

The various bits do move around a fair bit under duress. Maybe the way to see is to give it a few laps on a circuit and see what wear is caused?

Thanks guys / Peter. That was exactly the feed back I was interested in. Would it wear away a cut down bolt and nut? It may be possible to move the bar ends themselves in a bit more to give clearance.

I will have another look tonight.

Might take the ARB off and see what shes like too. Lighter of course.

Steve

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 21 Aug 2002 13:01:03

If you're going to leave the ARB on, get it slung underneath. I would expect any breakage in this area whilst at speed to be somewhat undesirable, and would you know for definite that the ARB would be the thing to fail first (and not the wheel/tyre)?

When I check on my ruler, 7mm isn't very much at all when you consider the likely deflections under hard load.

Tried without the rear ARB. Still on soft springs of course. On the road it was fine.

More grip in some circumstances it did pitch the rear end but I barely noticed....

Steve

email: speedy.steve@ukonline.co.uk

here

Yep, but I need those 'stiffies' (best with a French accent...forgive the expression) *smile*

Will have to take a Damper off to remove completely..

At my level of driving I am happy to drive round small compromises and changes and I find that

part of the fun and challenge.

It may be 0.1 sec a lap quicker with a ARB but it will hopefully be noticeably quicker with wider, lighter wheels...

Are you reading Fast Westie?

Steve

email: speedy.steve@ukonline.co.uk

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 23 Aug 2002 13:39:32