Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Uprated rear brakes...

rgrigsby

Be aware that the uprated rear calipers do not have a handbrake facility (or at least mine didn't).You'll need to get a seperate handbrake caliper.

Also, and I'm not 100% certain, but you may need different DeDion ears. A post on tech talk should confirm this.

Deeps *smile*

Deep down you know it makes sense. *idea*

There are uprated rear brakes and uprated rear brakes....

Until a couple of years ago the so called big rear brakes (which aren't actually bigger just better) used a solid disc and small AP Racing 2 pot rear calipers. They need different ears as they are radial mount rather than lug mount (bolts go thro the caliper body down in to the ear, rather than thro a lug into the side of the ear). You could get a separate handbrake caliper to compliment this but it was of dubious quailty and I don't think many people had much success with it.

A couple of years ago a vented rear brake kit was developed, this is known by Caterham as the uprated rear brake kit (hence the post if you call it uprated people will think you want the vented one). This used a newer design of AP Racing 2 pot caliper which is visually quite different, it has fins cast into the surface where the old one was smooth. It uses the same ear as the old kit but with a very crap adaptor, you bolt the adaptor to the ear then the caliper to the adaptor.

It would be a miracle if there were anysecond hand vented rear brake kits around. It's possible there are solid rear brake kits available from people who have upgraded to the vented kit but you'd still need new ears.

Probly, the old style cable operated handbrake caliper was the right spacing for a solid disc so wouldn't fit a vented disc.

Can't see why a different or modifed cable caliper couldn't be sourced for a vented disc.

Caterham parts people probably thought that as they'd sold 4 cable calipers for the old solid disc kit in 10 years they wouldn't bother with one for the new vented set-up.

It surprises me that there isn't a bolt on brake upgrade for the Fords that share the std rear caliper design with the Seven. IIRC the Cosworth rear caliper is essentially the same. Presumably Ford owners either live with the stock caliper or ditch it and go for a completely different disc and caliper setup, with the hassle that entails.

Kart brakes might work for the Handbrake although a suitable bracket would need to be made, there's a Company called Kart Components in High Wycombe that do all the bits for cable or Hydraulic types, about £50 a caliper IIRC plus pads at about £15

Mark

In my opinion hydraulic handbrakes are not legal for MOT's. I know others have posted the opposite opinion but when I read the manual it said you need 2 lots of brakes and one must be mechanical. To my mind line locks or hydraulic handbrakes are not mechanical (well obviously they are actuated by a mechanism but that wasn't what they meant when they wrote it....) Haven't managed to read an updated MOT manual since unfortunately.

But I've got one and it's passed the last 3 MOT's!!! But I put that down to an incompetetent tester rather than anything else, why do you think I took it there?

As I said I read some words some years ago and they were as stated, based on these words the hydraulic handbrake or line lock will not comply.

Do you have a copy or ref for the independent axle words? If the words have been revised recently then I stand corrected but until I see them myself then sorry, it's just someone elses view.

I'll stick with my opinion until I see the new definition.

I had a car with a hydraulic handbrake and on at least 2 occasions after about 4 hours the handbrake pressure decayed and the car rolled off, the first time it ran across the road and ended up in someones garden, the second time it just rolled across a field. Based on this experience if I was making the rules I wouldn't allow hydraulics as a parking brake, it's designed to apply big pressures for a few seconds not to maintain a pressure for a long time. Whereas cables will apply the brakes and hold them quite happily until the cable breaks. So based on this limited experience I understand why hydraulics might not be allowed so tend to read the regs skewed with this background, hence my opinion.

Needless to say I never use the hydraulic handbrake on the Cat for it's secondary purpose - parking, just for it's primary purpose - as a steering lever....