Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hi-Spec or Bremsports Brakes Updates?

Robin C

Just to back up what Phil has been saying. The HiSpec brakes are extremely well made. These are machined billet aluminium calipers as opposed to most of the others which are cast (including AP) and as a result can be stiffer/more rigid - hence less flex. Braking is absolutely awsome, especially when you get them warmed up on the track.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell

Edited by - Harry Flatters on 9 Sep 2002 13:43:21

Just found out from James Whiting that there is a 2 pot Alcon kit. It includes hoses and Green Stuff brake pads and costs £300.00 + VAT. I think that is quite reasonable as you don't have any brackets to make and could have them fitted in an hour or so. The calipers weigh around 1.45 kilos with pads.

AMMO

Andy Murphy,

I was at Brooklands last Saturday and spoke to the Caterham chap who was there with an R500 (after I'd stopped grinning having been taken for a spin). He implied just upgrading the master cyliner would make a big difference to the feel of the standard brakes. I gather from your posting of 20/08/02 you tried this before opting for upgrading the callipers - how big a difference did it make - obviously no enough if you've since changed the callipers!?

Andy Murphy,

I was at Brooklands last Saturday and spoke to the Caterham chap who was there with an R500 (after I'd stopped grinning having been taken for a spin). He implied just upgrading the master cyliner would make a big difference to the feel of the standard brakes. I gather from your posting of 20/08/02 you tried this before opting for upgrading the callipers - how big a difference did it make - obviously no enough if you've since changed the callipers!?

Robin,

Opinions vary on whether an M/C change is a good idea - think of it like this:

The M/C just changes the gear ratio of the brake linkage. It means that you push the pedal elss far, but have to push harder.

If you change the calipers, you eliminate flex, pad taper etc. - means you push less far for the same pedal weight

If you change pads to higher friction - means you get more stopping power for the same push on the pedal.

If you change to bigger discs, the clamping force needs to be less to get more braking - means you don't have to push as hard for the same braking.

If you change to calipers with more cross-sectional piston area you get more braking at that end - means you change the front/rear bias.

Just changing the M/C tends to give a heavy lifeless pedal unless matched to high friction pads or other modifications to improve the brakes.

I now have in my possession some Wilwood 4 pot calipers. They look OK and you simply cannot complain about the price. I got some Hawk HP Plus pads to try with them.

Making an a adaptor plate to suit the stock disc is a bit tricky as the mounting points want to overlap. Much easier if I was to go for a larger daimeter disc. Am looking at the GT6 disc which is 246mm instead of 232 mm. This would have to be reduced in thickness and probably drilled (less weight) but left full diameter. The other benefit of the bigger disc is that the mean radius goes up 7.5%.

J.R. (if you are out there) how did you make your adaptor brackets?. Would be interested in comparing notes as you may have come up with a solution I have not envisaged.

Thanks

AMMO

Ammo,

Have a look at a Pug 306 disc. These have almost the same offset as the AP discs (about 29mm I think) so miss the track rod end and can be offer the same diameter if you turn them down (253/4mm).

They are, however, vented and 20mm thick, which might not fit in the caliper... worth a look though.

Phil Waters

General Dog's Body

Whippet Racing 😬

Or discs from a Peugeot 205 - available in both vented and solid, same PCD as a Ford upright, and sensible offset 35mm on the vented discs, less on the solids.

If anyone wants it, I've got a .pdf file with 114 pages of brake disc specifications and another with disc weights. Not exactly interesting, but useful - if you'd like a copy send me an e-mail.

Dan