Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I dont like my headlights much

Nick Woods

I'm not especially impressed with the performance of my standard headlamps and want to improve the quality and quantity of light so I can see better at night.

Having spent ages going through the search engine I've not come up with a consensus on what is the best option is, hence the posting.

It seems to me the options are

replace the headlamps with a different make - but what ? are the 5 1/4 ones from (eg) James Whiting any better in terms of illumination or are they just smaller ?

uprate the bulbs with higher wattage ones - some rewiring required but not beyond the bounds of possibility, however higher-wattage bulbs are technically illegal.

use the '30% brighter' bulbs sold by halfrauds etc

add some auxiliary driving lights - are there any that are small enough to fit on a seven without looking stupid that give decent performance ?

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings

"This is very effective, but does look very silly"

>>>

BUT is a must for driving in Scandinavia at night where an elk or large deer could be lurking in the roadside trees ready to bolt out. You need all the extra vision you can get.

Personally I think they should paint or gm the coats so they glow in the dark.

I had a stag bolt out and miss me by a knats whisker in Sweden. They look very, very big from a 7's cockpit.

Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

The picture was taken in Sweden...only one small moose was encountered.

The return trip via Norway included a dirt stage, which was lots of sideways fun at 70mph although there was a section of gravel in Sweden that took the alternator belt off the front of the engine and filled the chassis rails with big lumps of rock. here, here and here

On balance, probably better than an X5!

Miraz

I've seen one car that had small driving lights fitted in place of the indicators, which had been moved to the leading edge of the cycle wings. It's possible that it was Tony Boyd's car although I can't be sure - it was a little while ago. If you did Julian T's headlamp modification then you could do something similar.

Miraz

For some 4 years I was pretty unimpressed by my lights. They certainly can't see round bends as fast as the car can travel as the have limited spread when dipped. However my last MOT test was carried out by Millwoods who adjusted them as part of the test and that has been a revelation. I had a hell of a job to get them right at first build and had used a local garage's MOT device - obviously I had not got it optimised but it is very difficult to tell.

Now driving on fast country roads at night is very exciting rather than rather scary as before - but to make them even better I will buy the direct replacement bulbs if they really work - do they?

Nick,

Not sure if you went on the club trip to Le Mans this year, but there was a guy there (Dave, his surname escapes me) who had the Cosworth powered 7 that did the race in Mexico - La Carrera Panamericana in 1995. It had an Ali nosecone with built in driving lights. I'll mailed you a pic. I think Dave may lurk on Blatchat occasionally?

Rgds

Ian

ian_balson@yahoo.co.uk

Nick

Saw the 'ring car at Caterham sales (South) last weekend.

It had some very snazzy rectanglular driving lights (zenon i think) on it from the race. Apparently it had two pairs on at night, but they had taken one set off.

I expect they are very expensive, but a quick call to one of the guys would confirm this.

If you want to be very extreme. John Tipler's Lotus and Caterham Sevens book shows a 24h endurance entry with a pair of Cibie Oscars bolted on the top of the nosecone. Functional but not exactly stylish. Maybe mount a white stick on the grille? *cool*

😬