Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CSR Oil question

davelloyd

I have spent the last 1500 miles getting the balance on this - and it would seem its an individual engine thing....... *confused* Mine uses a little oil every 500 miles BUT my SPEW point is about 5mm above the flat machined on the latest version dip stick - (make sure you know what dip stick you are using )

I was talking with Mav on this earlier and his CSR had an entirely different spew point.....so it seems to be trial and Remember - NO ROOM FOR ERROR better to be over than under IYSWIM

Just to add though spewing out enough to fill the catch tank means it may have been well over filled imho

Mine put out about 100ml to 200 ml after being over the dip stick by about the same so my balance is not far out for the right oil level in the system......

Dont forget to clean out the little gauze filter in the sump drain gallery when doing an oil change - remember to centre it well when putting the drain plug back in *thumbup*

Edited by - Billyboy on 16 Apr 2010 16:47:29

I add in 0.5 litre increments until is throws into the catch tank. You need to take it for a run to get the revs up before a steady state is achieved. The catch tank is about 03 t 0.4 litre to overflow pipe. Within reason you can't overfill using this technique, just do it in measured steps.

The downside of putting too much oil in is that it simply overfills the catch tank and goes down the pipe and sprays nicely over the underside of the car. Yep done that too.

As for dip stick levels, irrespective of which type (old or new), equilibrium for my car is reached at about 4 to 5 inches from the top of the dipstick.

My car uses very little oil, but am cautious just in case.

Rob

CSR200

When I got mine Dominic suggested 500ml every 500 miles, I usualy mark level in catch tank, if only a small amount, bung in about 200ml, take it for a quick blat then if no new oil in catch tank repeat, in 200 ml increments, seems to have worked so far. Probably a bit contentious but if catch tank kept clean then any oil spewed out can be reused next time, although so far only had tiny amounts so haven't done so.

Tim

Probably a bit contentious but if catch tank kept clean then any oil spewed out can be reused next time

Not a good idea as the catch tank oil will almost be guaranteed to contain an amount of condensation mingled with the oil - oil in the catch tank should be considered dirty - and not a little bit naughty too 😬 😬

Well there may be more condensation forming and being retained in the catch tank as its not subject to the high temps of the engine and is cooler so the warm gases will have more of a chance of condensing on the cooler surface - as there is a clear unobstructed venting from the engine less condensation would form on the inside of the rocker cover.........this being part of the design......for higher performing engines

In older engines with less venting or clogged up crank and rocker cover vents they did indeed form a white gloopy deposit of emulsified oil and condensate in the rocker cover area as it was possibly pressed steel and the quickest part of the engine assembly to cool thus the excessive condensation.

All in all this was because of blocked crank case breathers - X FLOWS are renowned for it *redface*

X FLOWS are renowned for it *redface*

I still love em though 😬

again imho

Edited by - Billyboy on 17 Apr 2010 00:18:50

HMM if my footwell bulkhead temp is anything to go by I suspect the catch tank achieves a fairly high temp, however for the sake of 200ml of oil I take your excellent point and will not even consider reusing oil in future 😬 😶‍🌫️