Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mercedes E220 (124-series) Sold

Simon_hill

Mercedes E220 Sportline 4 door saloon

1994 L reg

112000 miles

2.2 16v Petrol. 150BHP, 155lbft torque

5 speed manual transmission.

'Claudia' (it seemed a suitable name for a large German mistress, but of course must be said in a German accent).

MoT until end June 2010

Taxed until end August 2010

Service History (almost full)

Just serviced (oil, filter, air filter, spark plugs, wiper etc)

4 recent Michelin Pilot tyres (all >6mm tread)

The rare factory Sportline pack includes:

- Lower, stiffer springs

- Uprated dampers

- Wider alloy wheel rims

- Stiffer anti roll bars

- Uprated bushes

- Faster steering ratio

- Sports seats front and rear (the car is a 4 seater with a rear centre console

- Sports steering wheel and gearknob

Other spec includes:

- 4 x electric windows

- Electric sunroof

- Electric mirrors

- 2 zone temperature control

- Front foglights

- Remote central locking

- Driver and (optional) passenger airbag.

- Pneumatically folding rear head rests (with front switch). Handy to give sleeping rear passengers whiplash.

- Uprated speaker package

- Panasonic radio cassette with CD input. Rather handily, this brings it bang up to date as it's now an AUX-in for an iPod.

The full spec is listed below.

With the need for several months of trawling up and down motorways, I bought this car, as I wanted a dependable, quiet, comfortable car. It was one of the best ones available at the time and I bought it from a gentleman who was getting divorced and had to sell all his assets. Prior to him, a Mercedes mechanic had owned the car for 5 years.

It's been absolutely perfect for what I needed and I've ended up driving it a lot more than expected (through choice). It's very relaxing to drive at the end of a long day or for motorway journeys, yet with the Sportline pack really good fun to

punt along back roads - it's a really well sorted package and still feels tight and remarkably rattle free for its age (though probably as you'd expect from a 124-series). Even the performance is more than acceptable for such a large car (though it's not as heavy as you'd expect). I've also been very impressed by the economy. On a long journey I get 37mpg and going to work and back (all B and white roads) I get 34mpg. Pretty good for the size of car.

(Un)fortunately, I'm no longer doing so many long journeys, so as I promised to my partner, I wouldn't keep the car longer than necessary, I need to sell Claudia. I've just changed all the tyres (including the spare) and serviced the car myself. Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with the car bar a number plate lamp, so I would expect it to continue in the same vein for the foreseeable future.

The only bad points on the car are:

- some (almost inevitable) rust on the front arches (can be seen in the photos)

- some lacquer peeling on top of the front wings and bumper (can also be seen on the photo)

- the electric aerial doesn't fully retract

Overall, the exterior condition exterior condition could be described as good (very good except FR arches). The interior condition is excellent.

The car is located in North Bedfordshire and you're welcome to come and view the car (and test drive if you have proof of insurance).

Photos and full advert on Pistonheads are here

£945 ONO

Thanks, *wavey*

Simon

07779 164993

Edited by - simon_hill on 11 Apr 2010 17:34:42

Edited by - Simon_hill on 17 Apr 2010 09:50:51

A lovely spec car Simon...stonking value too *thumbup* If I can just persuade SWMBO that another 124 merc is needed (we have a 1995 E200 estate)... *rolleyes*

Have a BTTT on me *wavey*

Dave Ardley - White Xflow with Clams

The Bearded Clams - King Clam of Clam Hill!

photos