Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aeroscreen... is it worth it for odd usage?

skydragon

I'm thinking of getting an aeroscreen , mainly for usage at L7C hillclimb/sprint events. The rest of the time and on the road I would probably stick with using a windscreen setup.

Question - I haven't tried it, but can you get away with just removing the wipers/screen and not fitting a Aeroscreen at all for hillclimbs/sprints. Or does the aeroscreen make a big difference with wind buffeting etc ?

1.6 K Series EU3, 2003, with DVA K05 and a few other goodies...

website here

Assume you have checked the class regs you're running under to ensure no screen is ok?
Good point Steve.

The main L7C regs do not appear to specify a screen is necessary, but looking at the Curborough regs it does state 'All cars MUST run with a windscreen which can be of the ‘aero’ type or equivalent if required'.

If I want to remove the standard windscreen, I'll have to use a Aero screen.

Regs aside, I've driven my 7 without an aeroscreen at up to 110mph with a full face helmet. I felt there was less lift on the helmet than when the aero accelerates the airstream over the top of the helmet. For sprinting which is short duration with lots of speed and direction changes I don't think it is any problem at all to go without.

For road use, a little different as one would have to find an alternative mirror mounting arrangement.

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

• Support Team

For road going sprint classes you need a screen - aero is acceptable in the Lotus 7 Club speed championship but may not be for other championships. We use the clear perspex race screens attached using rivnuts which are normally hidden by the windscreen rubber.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing