Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Smoking!

RobM

Not me, but a question from a friend if that's OK.

He's recently put new discs (they're slotted, if that's what you call it) and mintex pads on his MX5 in preparation for a trackday next week. Having bed them in, he went out today for a rag at lunchtime to get used to them under hard braking. Afterwards, he said that they smelt bad, and whisps of smoke were coming off them!!

He was wondering if this was normal, and if he should go ahead and do the track day on these pads! He's probably put in only a few hundred or so road miles on them.

Any help greatly appreciated

- How can such a cute looking car sound so ferocious! -

OK. I guess my racing brakes don't do this cause they're built for abuse. ie to withstand high temperatures.

That'll be a relief for him. I will let him know. thanks

Note that these aren't my brakes in the 7! His MX5 must weigh twice what our Caterhams weigh, thus more kinetic energy to be transferred to heat.

It's not unusual for brakes to smoke when they're first heated up in anger, particularly in a saloon car where the ventilation is poor when compared to a 7. Various solvents and gases are released the first time the pads are made to get good and hot. If they do it more than once or twice then they're just getting too hot and need to be given time to cool off.

Rob, all Caterham front wheel bearings have a felt dust ring.

I have seen the plastic wheel centres melt due to brake heat.

A while back I was pounding round Mantorp park playing yoyo with a big Corvette in my 1600 xf, overtaking him into the one bend being out blasted on the straights. After a few laps he pulled in. I carried on for a while longer. On pulling in I saw his car and the brakes were still steaming. We talked and he said that was it for him for the evening. Brakes were gone and would need new pads. It was par for the course for him. Heavy car road brakes....

Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here