Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

idiot question content with apologies to all for touchiness

tbird

Hi,

I need to replace the cooling fans on my CSR 200 tomorrow, so need to remove nose cone, previous owner, I think, has kindly fitted the turn button type dzus fasteners underneath, so don't need to get a stubby in, any pitfalls I need to be aware of

cheers

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 7 Apr 2010 23:41:33

Or 5 Eurocents! My wife is starting to give me funny looks when she regularly finds a 5c coin in my trouser pockets...

I have Dzu connectors on the nose cone and the heads are captive so they shouldn't fall out. In light aviation/gliding all the Dzu connectors I have come across have been captive. So fingers crossed.

My Seven is a kit built one from the mid eighties. I had assumed that Dzu connectors were standard on the nose cone (x4) (RHS upper is a bit tricky to get my hand in at the right angle - clams!). So what is the normal connector for CKD/factory built cars?

Gavin

1988 1700 Supersprint (LA, long cockpit)

Gavin Hi,

I think some cars, maybe earlier ones, not sure, have standard captive dzus that need a screwdriver or coin to turn, later cars and some retro fit use dzus fasteners with a built in turner a bit like a butterfly nut, similar to the one here

Tim

Must type faster 😬 although coin still useful for top 2 which on my car are normal

Edited by - tbird on 7 Apr 2010 10:16:55

Edited by - tbird on 7 Apr 2010 10:18:32

Guys I am not unsure how to remove Dzus fasteners, have removed thousands of the little bleeders from many an aircraft, however I had never had the nosecone of a 7, having only had it a few months,just wanted to make sure there were not any hidden wires etc I needed to be aware of, and while I am quite capable of removing a radiator it is not required to change the fans, anyway fans done.

and I apologise for asking a simple question next time i will figure it out on my own ☹️

Thanks to those who understood that occasionaly we are all new to some tasks

Tim

Whoa, don't get too touchy Tim. I guess the short answer to your question would've been " No nothing to worry about", but I was thinking the same as Dave and Alex; that if you've had to ask the question and haven't had your nose cone off yet after several months of ownership, perhaps you may not have been able to do a more complicated job - it didn't come across in your first posting.

It is good that you have aircraft experience and that it is, of course, better to ask first, just in case. *wink* As a matter of interest, what was the problem with the fans - I have a CSR and I'm hoping that my fans aren't on the way out?

Paul J.

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 7 Apr 2010 23:21:53

OK apologies to all for touchiness *redface* *wavey* reasons I have not had nosecone off are two fold, not had any need to so no point in just messing and am currently without suitable garage space for working on car, so if its sunny I have been driving it and if not its been in friends V small and crowded garage, today I borrowed a large and comfortable garage to do fans, but back to the question

The Fans have done, Presumably, about 12k miles if they have been on from new, recently have been noticing a noise similar to when a leaf gets into a fan only louder, a bit like when you were a kid and stuck some card to your bike forks to make a noise,

Any way, as explained about garage, while a local Garage was doing oil change and spanner check he checked over the fans and they were rocking on the spindles and catching the casing, also if I spin the fans manually they sound like a well oiled ratchet.

Strange that both are the same! anyway as we are driving down to Greece in it in a couple of weeks thought better to be safe than sorry and chuck new ones in, nice and quiet now.

hope mine is a one off and yours are fine

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 7 Apr 2010 23:43:06

I replaced the lower Duz fasteners with bolts fitted to the chassie mount points (bolts long enough to protude into nose cone holes) so the nose cone slots into place, with the top Duz fasteners locking everything in place - a lot easier 😬

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

Co-founder of the BOG Club

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

Actually, showing my own stupidity, the only other awkward job I have done recently was fabricating and fitting a sump guard/protector and, having only got some low ramps handy, spent about 3 hours messing underneath fitting brackets and guard with very little room to swing the proverbial cat, just I tightened the last bolt it dawned on me it would have been a little easier if I had removed the nosecone, at least it would have stopped the bl00dy numberplate guillotining me every time I moved, never mind live and learn 😬

Tim

Eugene *wavey* good idea although with the butterfly type Dzus its not too bad, the really annoying bolt today was the one above the bottom hose holding the nearside fan, I think if doing fans again I would remove top hose so I could remove air baffle, it would have probably been quicker in the long run.

Tim

Thanks for the feedback on Dzu connectors. How sensible now fitting the D-ring Dzu connectors.

I have some Dzu connector with D-rings fitted for a project to make the fitting and removal of the front lip spoilers of my P38 Range Rover easily removable for offroad trips. Ironically I will probably have to remove the D-rings because of the difficulty of access. Sod's law say they wont be the same size as the Seven for a convenient direct swap.

Gavin

1988 1700 Supersprint (LA, long cockpit)

the only other awkward job I have done recently was fabricating and fitting a sump guard/protector

tbird - do you have a dry sump system on your car? - even if you don't - I am just about to start a little project to achieve the same - My sump is very close to the ground and at 800 quid my wallet is a little exposed *wink*

...I am looking at supporting mine on the chassis using 4 brackets then having a guard bolted to the brackets - multiple holes for cooling but enough material remaining to be effective.....

Any chance of a couple of pictures of your sump guard......may give me some ideas?

Billyboy, yes dry sump, but don't see why the way I have done it would not work on any sump. At the moment it is more for protection of the front of sump and fins although it could easily be adapted to cover as much of the sump as required, I was also a little concerned about cooling and clearance hence keeping it as small as possible. I have some pics, on a friends camera and as soon as he mails them across I will post them either here or on picassa with a write up of what we did.

Epimetheus

once fans were off it became obvious that a substantial part of the noise seems to be from the bearings inside the fan, I still have them so thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a whirl

Dave J anything that involes a hammer gets my vote, maybe I can fully refurb them and then if someone else in the club needs a free pair they can have them *thumbup*

Edited by - tbird on 8 Apr 2010 11:31:39