Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry sump pulley tensioner

jakeandlizzy

I have searched for an answer, but anyone know where to get this here. It is kind of wobbly and makes noises when the engine is running. Figure the bearing is shot. Note that the pulley itself has edges on both sides to hold the belt in. I would have guessed it was this here but the pulley itself looks different, i.e. without the 'slot' for the belt.

Edited by - jakeandlizzy on 6 Apr 2010 12:08:17

• Area Representative

Looks like yours is this pulley here, which uses a standard ball bearing (available from and bearing supplier). Unfortunately, if the bearing has failed, it's likely that the pully is also damaged. It may be neccesary to replace the pulley, but it may be possible to effect a repair.

My similar pulley was worn in this manner, but I fitted a new bearing with a strip of shim steel and "bearing fit".

Caterham would be my first call. As I understand yours is the later type as mine is just a plain roller. If there is any wobble in this I would be very fearful of running the engine till replaced.

I have a parts diagram of it and it is labeled 'Pump Belt Idler Pulley'. It is retained by an 'Idler Spindle Circlip' on the 'Idler Pulley Spindle' with final clamping with an 'Idler Pulley Nut'.

Hope the above is of some help.

S7MAD

Slight hijack ; when you fit the alloy pulley on the bearing, which way round does it go ?

There is a thick rim and a thin rim, which edge goes towards the front of the car ( facing away from the tensioner) ?

Like to get this right before I press it in with bearing fit loctite.

Thanks

Steve

Now with DVA Power! 191bhp and 150.9 lbft torque.

My Pictures

• 10 months later...