Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tickover/idle

johndavies

My car stalls when foot is taken off the accelerator be it hot or cold engine. Initial diagnosis is ECU not giving throttle potentiometer (sp?) information. ECU has been "re-mapped", throttle body cleansed other connections all checked.

Does anybody have any ideas?? Thanks

The ECU is fitted as standard to the K series engines, which i think is Rovers own MEMS, i assume the ECU used for the standard engine may be different from that supplied on the upgrade engines. i am not that technically minded. The ECU fitted is the original as supplied with the car in 1995 and when I referred to it being "re-mapped" i ment the values for each piece of equipment had been checked and reset according to the readings on the screen obtained from the diagnosic equipment. This is what i have been told by the garage that have my car!

Coincidence or what - I have the exact same problem on a 1.6K ss - cutting out when clutch depressed. Spoke to Caterham who suggested turning in the throttle body stop screw one turn - they had heard this one before. Explanation being that there is not enough air bleeding past closed butterfly before idle bypass kicks in (which it sometimes does but sometimes not quick enough)

I wish they were all this easy !

Thanks for the intro to the website, the suggestions that have come in have been implimented and we are down to the ECU not giving out correct mixture readings. Caterham have told me they cant supply ECU's for the 1.4 supersport and niether can they mend them. Ideally I would like to borrow an ECU to see if our findings are correct then I would need to find somebody to repair the ECU or buy one second hand or pull my hair out if any is left!!!! I will keep you informed.